New big boards

So I took what little free time I have and built a new set of planer boards. I used the down times plans with slight modifications. Only thing I really changed was how far apart the boards were. Here is the finished product.

I used 1x8 pine, my other boats are 1x10 and they seem to sit to high in the water which causes them to become unstable.

Sent from my thinking chair...

post-149865-14262897887969_thumb.jpg

post-149865-14262898209455_thumb.jpg

post-149865-14262898297531_thumb.jpg

Adding weight also makes them lag really fast on a turn... Then they have to catch back up constantly. You don't need more weight.

Chas - on the bottom of your boards, screw 2 aluminum 3/16" thick plates about 2" wide and however long your new boards are... This flat surface adds a lot of resistance against the water which keeps your boards sitting down (an Amish secret).

Think about it... Try pulling one of those all threads through the water with your hand. Much resistance there? Nope. Now try pulling a rectangular piece of aluminum through the water. Much better!! :)

Edited by FleetTracker

nice!

agree with fleettracke  about some added weight 

also add a lenght of grinded sharp metal to the outside tappered edge of both boards - Rochester combat board wars secret- cuts thru the other guys planer tow line in second when get to close.....

just kidding good job on your project

I have been meaning to post pics of mine, but its been hectic here lately. I use 2x8 boards for mine. I fish the fingerlakes and I pull 5 leader rigs on mine with 60 oz of lead holding them down. (the rigs) and I can run thru pretty serious waves and not flip them. They pull like a mule, but when they are tuned right, they dont fail. The biggest problem is not to let them stall, cause they will flip when that happens. Mostly because of the weight they are pulling. I will try and post some pics, also, I need a new pair as these have been used for year's and are wore out. So if I get a chance to make new ones, I will post pic on how they are constructed. There was another post about boards where someone said they used a long threaded rod to attach to and bent them for the proper pull. He was spot on about that. Kind of a cantilever effect. thats exactly the way mine are pulled. You can adjust the "drag" and the height with that setup. I use a bunji to hold on to the rig, so shock can be absorbed. 

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

nice!

agree with fleettracke about some added weight

also add a lenght of grinded sharp metal to the outside tappered edge of both boards - Rochester combat board wars secret- cuts thru the other guys planer tow line in second when get to close.....

just kidding good job on your project

Haha there were times last year I wished I had a bunch of razor blades on the front of my boards and remember joking about it. Managed to never tangle or cross boards with anyone last year despite some very close calls during amateur hour the first 2 weeks of the season. Gotta watch out for the guys trolling N/S when the entire pack of boats are trolling W/E... Unreal.