Secondary Lure off of planner board

I'm wondering what is the best way to run a second lure or stick bait on the same rod when hooking up to a church tackle tx22 planner board, looking for ways

to attach that second lure to the main line first with out getting it tangled or dropping down to first bait. More bait in the water more the chances just don't want to fight a mess all the time, just want to do it right. All replies appreciated. 

You don't need a 3 way to do it any swivel about 3 feet above the lure and a spoon on a 4 foot lead with snap swivel clip it on and deploy the crankbait first and once it starts to dive throw the spoon in.

Sent from my thinking chair...

It's really not bad usually a pike will hit the spoon or walleye hits the crankbait. If there isn't a fish on you just release it off the tow line then reel until you get the crank to the boat slowly lift the rod tip until the crank is up. Let the spoon drag in the water until you take care of the crank or take the spoon off the swivel.

Takes a little getting used to but on slow days I have convinced a bite or 2 that way.

reillym;

I would just run a second board in the water, & not deal with the hassle of tangles.

John

That would require another rod.  With my method if you are limited out on rods this gets another lure in the water without breaking the law.  almost like running a cheater on a downrigger.

Back when I was young and ambitious I would tie a loop in the mainline. The loop might be 15 ft up the line. I would then tie a loop in the end of a leader that might be 12 ft in length. The leader loop would connect to the mainline loop and both would pass through the guides. I'd rig a diving plug like a hot-n-tot on the shorter line and a flutter spoon on the longer and set this out on a planer (mono and/or leadcore). The two lures would run a good 5-6 foot apart and when netting the loops would just go through the guides and levelwind onto the reel. If the fish was on the plug, the spoon would just trail the fish by 3 foot or so. If the spoon had the fish, I just had to be careful not to get the plug in the net. I never really had any tangles with it and yeah over the years I had a few doubles, sometimes resulting in two smaller fish in the net, other times maybe one of the fish would be lost to a pulled hook.

I also ran this rig a lot off riggers and it functioned similarly to a fixed cheater. Usually two spoons. 

I have run 10 dodgers/squids on five rods on five riggers at a dead slow troll at times with exceptional results using this method. On a hit, minor tangles were expected, but I rarely had anything that needed more than 20-30 seconds to untangle. I'd make lure changes by raising the rigger and hand lining the dodgers in instead of popping the lines. I'd never do something like this with a spinner though for obvious reasons.

Like everything else there's a time and place for this kind of untraditional stuff. You just need to be thoughtful in deciding how, when, where and why.

Edited by John E Powell

Sounds dangerous. I know if you have experience, you are good enough to avoid tangles, but it just takes a simple mistake, or strong currents, and then you are untangling line for 30 minutes. Is that loss of fishing time really worth it?

I say that sometimes less is more.

I don't run rigs much like that anymore. Fishing solo, it makes netting unnecessarily challenging. My regular crew cant get to the dock before 7, and they all look the other way on copper hits so like I said there is a time and a place for everything. The OP asked a question and I shared what has worked for me in the past. I'm certainly not recommending it to everyone as the next SWR...

If I ran something like what I described and experienced a big tangle, I'd just set it aside and rig another rod. I wouldn't really lose any time. Now if I didn't have extra rods ready for a quick replacement then I surely would be more hesitant to try something like what I described. 

Edited by John E Powell

You don't need a 3 way to do it any swivel about 3 feet above the lure and a spoon on a 4 foot lead with snap swivel clip it on and deploy the crankbait first and once it starts to dive throw the spoon in.

Sent from my thinking chair...

Exactly! Deploy slowly and you wont have any trouble until you net. It can be a bit of a mess in the net though. The only time I use it is when its slow.