Im looking for 40-60hp outboard

I have a 14.5 Lowe thats underpowered with its Johnson 28. Anyone's opinion on the difference when upgrading they've noticed too would help. I think a 60 would be overkill (weight and power) but I could be wrong. The previous owner has worn off the Max rating on the tag. The boat is an aluminum deep V, with side console fish well, etc. so its pretty heavy as well.

I've got a 16.5 foot aluminum Tracker deep-v and it has a 40 hp on it. It's plenty of power for fishing, and I can get up to 35 mph with 2 people on board. I've even used it for water skiing once or twice and it has enough power for that, but barely. When you say you are underpowered with your 28, what are you looking to do? Any idea of the hull weight of your boat?

• 2 weeks later...

When its just me, I get about 20-25mph in it. +1 maybe 15-20, +2 I'm fighting to get on plane. Not sure the weight, but its a deeper v with fishwell, side console, floor, etc. so its pretty heavy. I'm just looking to get it moving. I've changed pitches, through on a whale tail, pinned to every angle.... Just unhappy with performance. I'm not looking to pull multiple water skiers, just the ability to bring out a couple of people fishing or to the beach.

40 sounds like it will do the trick then. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I'm having little luck finding a 40-60hp long shaft Johnson or anything else w/ controls. Craig's list hasn't panned out... any other ideas? I'm about to buy an unfavorable boat and swap motors....