Name that fish...Caught on a party boat in NJ in 2014

The Canadians are moving steelhead stocking to mostly Western ports of Lake Ontario because they are finding steelhead are breeding in tribs of the St. Lawrence River.

The spots don't look right for an Atlantic and it looks to me that there are spots on the lower portion of the tail as well. It certainly doesn't look like a healthy fish either way with the proportionally large head and extremely slender body. I've been wondering for some time if the reason both the Canadians and US were having such poor returns to the streams if something like this wasn't happening (running from Ontario via St. Lawrence and down the Hudson to the Atlantic. I even mentioned awhile back in one of my posts.I think it is very conceivable that Atlantics and perhaps steelies could do it. On the other hand the Pacific salmon are ocean dwellers  are some of the adult Chinook and Coho also doing it ?

Edited by Sk8man

This is the first I'm hearing about Chinook and Steelhead in the Raritan.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The article was from 1988.  I wonder how long it lasted? 

Let me get this straight......the NYSDEC gave New Jersey steelhead and salmon eggs to develop a PACIFIC species fishery on the Atlantic side.....  If this is true HOW THE HELL ARE WE SUPPOSE TO TAKE THE DEC STANCE THAT THEY ARE CONSERVATION MINDED AND ARE PRO NATIVE SPECIES AND AGAINST EXOTIC SPECIES?????  THIS IS AS STUPID AS CANADIANS FARM RAISING ATLANTICS ON THE PACIFIC COAST.  I see someone mentioned the article was from 1988.  Man I hope smarter minds prevailed.

Edited by Gill-T

Let me get this straight......the NYSDEC gave New Jersey steelhead and salmon eggs to develop a PACIFIC species fishery on the Atlantic side.....  If this is true HOW THE HELL ARE WE SUPPOSE TO TAKE THE DEC STANCE THAT THEY ARE CONSERVATION MINDED AND ARE PRO NATIVE SPECIES AND AGAINST EXOTIC SPECIES?????  THIS IS AS STUPID AS CANADIANS FARM RAISING ATLANTICS ON THE PACIFIC COAST.  I see someone mentioned the article was from 1988.  Man I hope smarter minds prevailed.

Conservation takes a back seat to $$$$$$.....

That's a bit of a hypocritical statement. You catch pacific salmon, pacific trout, and a trout that is native to Germany in NY.

Exactly Senior Snagger!  You are making my point for me.  The DEC is hypocritical stocking species all over the place at their discretion.  Now this has opened up wonderful opportunities for us sportsman ....for sure!  So on one hand they are planting "exotic" species then take an anti-exotic stance when money is involved.....see also King Salmon vs Lake Trout.  Hypocrisy. 

PS: Some interesting reading about what the Canadian Atlantic Salmon farming program has done to the Pacific Salmon on the west coast.