Name that fish...Caught on a party boat in NJ in 2014

Hybrid species of trout and salmon arent much different that hybrid plants. There is a reason they are dabbling in this.  There is a known decline in natural stocks due to "human impact" of their waters (pollution). Could it be were developing hybrids to combat the contamination of our shores? In the fingerlakes they bred Seneca lake trout with strains from Keuka for a reason. I'm not saying I agree with it, but wouldn't it make sense they are trying to combat something. And experimenting with it.  At the same time trying to produce a fishery that can sustain the changes we have made to our waters. There could be hundreds of hypothetical reasons, but Gill-t has raised some very obvious questions about public relations and industry practice when you consider both the NY and Canadian "policies".  The fish in question resembles a steelhead, but very thin and not doing well where it was caught. It looks as though the dorsal has been clipped. Many fish in the fingerlakes have dorsal clips that look very much like that. Anyone with DEC stocking reports from that time period could tell if NY released those trout, sold those trout, or other during that time frame. Canada would be another story. It's a really interesting topic to say the least.  

I grew up and live on the Delaware river in PA.  My great uncle still tells stories about the "River Run Rainbows" he used to catch down at the mouth of the river and much farther up where I live.  He's a very knowledgeable angler and often fishes with PA fish and widlife officers who confirm his stories.   Atlantic steelhead have been around for some time, but where they came from who knows?  It would seem that they were fairly common in the 50s and 60s as well.

They stock Brookie's on Long Island streams that flow to the ocean and I read that some do in fact go out to the ocean during the summer then return to the stream to attempt spawning. I think I read in on of the New York State sportsman magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hello all New to this forum but if i were to guess that looks like an Atlantic Salmon dark spots on gill plates and tail shape, and one that is in not so great shape at that. Ive seen alot of those here in Maine and caught a few that were in thre same shape as the one in the pic.

Atlantic - I think.

About what non native fish deserve to be in what waters.  I think, in my opinion, that we, humans, have mettled with our environment in the mid atlantic and north east to the point that whatever we do will not return us to what was and if it makes somewhat improvement to add sport fish to the various systems I am more than ok with it.  And to add to this more... I would like to see natural musky and walleye stocked in all of the fingers and in Conesus (specifically) I would like to see the addition of striped bass hybrids...  I do not expect to see any of this in my lifetime.  If you ask me in 5 years what I would like to see it will be what I just said.