Have you hugged your boat today?

When paying someone here with paypal, pay them as a "friend or relative". This way Paypal doesn't take any fees out of the seller.

It's just a nice thing to do. :)

Greg

Edited by Patriot

if you do that, be aware that paypal considers your transfer of money as a gift and not a business transaction. if you have a problem with something you purchase and you paid that person as a friend or relative you won't be able to ask PayPal to intervene on your behalf or ask for a refund.

if you do that, be aware that paypal considers your transfer of money as a gift and not a business transaction. if you have a problem with something you purchase and you paid that person as a friend or relative you won't be able to ask PayPal to intervene on your behalf or ask for a refund.

exactly.... make sure the person you are doing biz with has a reputation on this forum 

Well… I thought we were all friends here. So pardon me for trying to help save a buck for the buyer & the seller.

If you got screwed over by someone, sorry to hear that. But I can tell you, if I sell something here or anywhere, the buyer will get exactly what I say it is, no ifs ands or buts.

Edited by Patriot

If fees are requested, depending on what or who it is I will pay them, but I won't gift the payment etc.  Got boned twice and there was no recourse for me.  keepem sharp and I want to go fishing on the BIg O

I've dealt with PayPal's fraud division before (not from a purchase on LOU), and let me tell you, it's almost easier to just take the hit and walk away. First, they needed to contact the seller to let them try to make it right. Of course, they got the run around. So they gave him a second chance. He BS'd about sending something out. I got an empty box in the mail. He produced the shipping invoice for PayPal and I actually had to point out that the weight of the shipment was no more than the box alone...couldn't possibly have been downriggers in there. Okay, so what does PayPal do after this? They give him another chance. Holy S###! The guy stopped responding to them entirely. And even then, I was told that they would need 30 days MORE after last hearing from him to refund my money. So much for "being protected". All in all, I think that it took three months and several hours on the phone to resolve this. I still use PayPal, but mainly for the convenience.

I've dealt with PayPal's fraud division before (not from a purchase on LOU), and let me tell you, it's almost easier to just take the hit and walk away. First, they needed to contact the seller to let them try to make it right. Of course, they got the run around. So they gave him a second chance. He BS'd about sending something out. I got an empty box in the mail. He produced the shipping invoice for PayPal and I actually had to point out that the weight of the shipment was no more than the box alone...couldn't possibly have been downriggers in there. Okay, so what does PayPal do after this? They give him another chance. Holy S###! The guy stopped responding to them entirely. And even then, I was told that they would need 30 days MORE after last hearing from him to refund my money. So much for "being protected". All in all, I think that it took three months and several hours on the phone to resolve this. I still use PayPal, but mainly for the convenience.

But you did get your money back, right? 

I had a similar experiance to gator. I got sent a broken computer part from a guy and pay pal gave us the run around... He guy gave us another computer but this one wasn't right either so again we contacted pay pal. I think after a few months of jacka**ing around we finally got our money back

Edited by Dylan585

I have no problem paying the fee as a seller. As a buyer and sending money as a gift, you have no protection at all. How many sellers would like to send the goods out to a buyer without getting paid ahead of time? Kind of the same deal. No protection that the buyer will send the money. I personally have sent goods before payment, and also received goods before payment. But there has to be trust involved. 

Yes, I did get my money back. I guess that's better than being ripped off, but I simply couldn't believe the process. Even when it became obvious that the guy was running a scam, and I mean OBVIOUS, they still stalled.

Such is life. Once in ten years isn't too bad. And I've never, ever had an issue with anyone on this board.

I use PayPal all the time also. I believe the fees is up to the seller if he paypal with the intention that fees are involved unless he stats will only accept as gift. When you go to a store that accepts credit cards, cc fees aren't the buyers responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use PayPal all the time also. I believe the fees is up to the seller if he paypal with the intention that fees are involved unless he stats will only accept as gift. When you go to a store that accepts credit cards, cc fees aren't the buyers responsibility.

have you used your cc to buy gas lately?

With PayPal, in most cases you will eventually get your money back. Sometimes it's quick, other times there are buyer/seller agreements that specify time for parties to respond and that can drag out. 

One of the more creative frauds perpetrated at values under $200-250 is called a triangle fraud. It can be very difficult to straighten out. How a triangle fraud works is a seller will advertise an item for sale, like a Tekota 800LC and advertise it as near new. They'll post some photos of a new reel they get off the web. They'll give a story like they're getting out of fishing or maybe a hard luck angle like losing their job. They ask an attractive but reasonable price that will look to a buyer to be a good deal. You contact them about their $135 nearly brand new Tekota 800LC and paypal them the money. The seller then goes online to a company like Bass Pro or Cabelas and makes an online purchase for the reel to send to you. They fill in your address as the delivery address, and use a stolen credit card number to pay for the purchase. You receive a brand new Tekota 800LC in the mail and think, "wow that's great, he sent me a new reel". You might be suspicious, but you have a brand new reel at a great price. So a month goes by and the person whose credit card was used gets their bill. They may pay it off without noticing the fraudulent purchase and the seller gets away with the crime. If they do notice the charge they didn't make, they call Cabelas to ask what the charge is about. and the Fraud department takes over. Now, keep in mind that the seller has probably done the exact same thing to ten other people with ten other stolen card numbers and made a single purchase from different retailers. None of the fraud amounts are over the $200-$250 required to trigger an in-depth investigation as most retailers set a minimum fraud amount and frauds below this amount just routinely get written off as a cost of doing business. This is a problem for you because Cabelas isn't really interested in digging into this when the seller contacts their credit card company for help and credit card company contacts Cabelas on behalf of their customer. All cabelas will tell the credit card company was they processed a sale to your shipping address with the stolen card number. Now the credit card company is contacting you instead of the seller. You have to now try to get PayPal on your side to act upon your behalf. This is very difficult because from PayPal's point of view, a reel was ordered and a reel was delivered. It's hearsay as to just what happened. So now you realize your in possession of a reel which technically belongs to Cabelas and you have paid money. You can't return the reel to Cabelas because they will then credit the card holder and you don;t get your money back. You can't hold on to the reel cause its stolen. Believe it or not, the only way you can get your money back through PayPal is to return the reel to the seller who never actually paid for the reel in the first place. The seller ends up with the reel and you've just spent weeks trying to deal with PayPal, Cabelas, and a seller who is adamant that you're just trying to back out of a deal and they did nothing wrong. The reason why this works is because Cabelas fraud department won't actually ever talk to Paypal's fraud department because it breaks confidentiality rules so the crook gets away with it. This happens a lot with Ebay purchases - this is even more complex because now another big factor is Ebay and their rules which state they can't share fraud info. Ebay and PayPal don't even share fraud info between themselves unless you can convince a top level supervisor in both companies to get on the phone with one another.

Over the years, I've dealt with this exact kind of situation twice. In both instances I did the honorable thing and returned the item to the retailer so the person's whose stolen credit card  was used could get their refund. On one of the two occasions the seller wasn't too bright and slipped up in dealing with Paypal and I got my money back. On the second occasion, I was unable to recover my money for the purchase.

Edited by John E Powell

In a retail store you're paying full retail and the cc fees are built into the total coast