NEWBIE GUY

Hello everyone!

My name is Don Hoeltke and I live in Webster, NY. I'm 68 years old, still working for one of the local school districts as a custodian. Probably be there till I die, lol. I just bought an older Searay 25' Sundancer and when spring finally gets here I want to try my hand at some salmon and steelhead fishing in Lake Ontario. Any good pointers and tips will be highly apprecieated!  The name of the boat right now is "TKO" but when I come up with a new name, it will be changed. I just bought 2 used Cannon downriggers and I'm slowly getting the boat outfitted for fishing. I hope to have it ready by April. If anybody wants to email me, my email is [email protected]. I hope to meet some new friends out there on the lake. Take care!

Hi Don,

Welcome to LOU. I think you'll like it here....a lot of really good knowledgeable folks willing to share information. One of the best suggestions would be to go back through previous postings on here by searching for things that are of interest to you as folks have already spent a considerable amount of time answering thousands of questions and issues so the information you are seeking is most likely already available to you on here...then "fill in the gaps" with specific questions for people on issues that you weren't able to find answers for.  Good luck and have a great season of fishing.

Don, I got this advice when I started and never acted on it. It cost me thousands of dollars on wasted equipment, gas and time.

Go on a local fishing charter. They will show you what equipment works and how to use it. You will also start figuring out how to find fish.

It seems illogical to own your own boat and go on a charter, but trust me, you could save a lot of money and get so much more out of fishing with this initial boost.

I have changed every major piece of tackle and fishing equipment at least once, if not twice, since I started. I finally think I have all the right stuff. I also own a tonne of crap I will never use and have my go to baits, which make up about 20% of what I own.

If I had known at the start what to get, I would have saved thousands.

Hi Don

Welcome to LOU, the Charter idea is great and you can also learn alot on you tube.

there are tons of charter videos on technique and equipment for all the Great lakes and Species.

I just got back into salmon and trout fishing last year and learned alot on this forum and watching videos on You Tube.

This forum is a great place to get real information, the members are very accomidating to us newbies.

I spent a total of 12 full days out on Lake Ontario last summer and thanks to the advice of the good people

on this forum very few of those days were unproductive. My 12 year old daughter thinks i am the Salmon Wisperer!

Don, welcome to LOU, the charter deal is the idea going, I have owned a boat and trolled the lakes for many years. I still do a charter every year, I feel one is never too old to learn, in my case I have a tendency to forget a lot and I really enjoy spending time with charter I use. I don't want to name drop but he is one of the best.