fish finder for jigging

Everyone has their preferances but there are a lot of models that work well depending on how much you want to spend. If you want to spend the money, most units with chirp technology would work great. If you want an ecomical unit you could go with a Humminbird 859. If you get it without DI it would run about 499.00 w/GPS. Really not worth the extra money for DI imo. Most of the compact units putting out 2k peak watts are going to be a lil shy on your jig detail in deep 100+ fow. Minimally you would probably want at least 4k peak watts and more is better. If you get into the Lowrance, the HDS5 is quite a bit of power and will work well. I run Humminbird and have never had a problem marking fish and jigs.

Lowrance ice units are worthless over 100' from what I've seen

It is possible that you've seen older units and the transducer that comes with it is the source if it is a "problem" as it is 200khz which is largely designed for shallower applications. I doubt if they figured many folks would be jigging in 200 ft of water. The newer CHIRP units have a 20 degree  transducer that is 50 khz /83khz/200khz.(Low/Medium/High CHIRP) with a range down to 1000 ft. (The lower CHIRP has higher depth penetration)

Edited by Sk8man

Yes Zack...that is what my comment referred to I have one of the Mark 5XPro units with the ice bundle but I'd rather use my Vexilar flasher anyway because it is "real time" viewing rather than waiting for the screen of the other type unit to "draw" The "delay" can be crucial in jigging. The main feature of the "graph" type units for me is spotting the bait and fish before jigging :)  The newer CHIRP ice units are intended to address the problem you are referring to.

I have a portable circa 2000 Lowrance X51 that worked fine on Keuka. It marked the jig down to about 100' and marked fish and bait throughout the depths. I turned the sensitivity all the way up and 4x zoomed the bottom, (split screen) the hard part us to get the transducer to hang level in the hole.

it worked better than some others because it didn't seem effected by the interference of other units

May sell the unit if you are interested.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Nautitroller

My uncle got a Mark4 chirp ice unit and I must admit the chirp really shines for jig fishing, you could watch the fish come in and lift the jig up a little and wam fish on, didn't break the bank either.

Edited by pap