Chinook Salmon "Naturalized" (No Donations Please)

150 sigs?!! Come on guys. This really needs to be stepped up. This is even easier than actually voting or is complacency running rampant on this forum also. Just expecting someone else to look after our best interests

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You can bet if the king salmon program had funding cut we'd hear from everybody!!!

It would be too late then. Let's go guys!!!  Chad, thank you for being proactive. This is long overdue. Guys, a designation means ALOT to people who have too much say and don't even understand the details. It's bigger than being everybodys favorite Lake O target and economic machine, it's about stabilizing the lake biology as well. I can't believe all the people I still meet who don't know if it wasn't for the pelagic Pacific Salmon the bounceback of Yellow perch and Walleye would not have happened.

The bottom line is no other fish makes guys leave home(Erie, Toledo, Cleveland, ect) and a perfectly good bite there, to travel to Lake Ontario with their own rigs or for a charter trip. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Say the word "SALMON" and heads snap, even in Florida or New England where they have their own great fisheries. It's a gift that the Pacifics took like they did, and literally cleaned up Man's mess. It's time they got the status they deserve.

Thank you Dr. Howard Tanner (Michigan) and Bill Pearce (NY) for your courage and foresight.   

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni

I'm all for MORE Salmon, but I am against them coming from Altmar hatchery. I think this is a great way to get our message across, but lets send the right message. From Rochester West I think our best bet would be to have 1/2 of each ports Salmon stock come from Canada's hatchery system. The DEC wants to bring in Andy Todd at these meetings to show what a great relationship the US and Canada have then prove it to us! Increase the stocking, but lets put more burden on Canada! They rape our Kings and Steel all Summer long, but they put in such a minimal amount. The other great thing about the Canadian product, and this comes from watching tourney results, it's like the Salmon of the 80s and 90s. They stage off any creek, stream, or canal. These don't know about Salmon River water so they would never head to the East end of Lake Ontario and sit in pizz warm water. I'd go so far as to let Altmar stock more fish from Rochester East to see if they can improve that fishery earlier in the season.

Vince is right....NO other fish makes people travel like the King Salmon. 

I'm all for MORE Salmon, but I am against them coming from Altmar hatchery. I think this is a great way to get our message across, but lets send the right message. From Rochester West I think our best bet would be to have 1/2 of each ports Salmon stock come from Canada's hatchery system. The DEC wants to bring in Andy Todd at these meetings to show what a great relationship the US and Canada have then prove it to us! Increase the stocking, but lets put more burden on Canada! They rape our Kings and Steel all Summer long, but they put in such a minimal amount. The other great thing about the Canadian product, and this comes from watching tourney results, it's like the Salmon of the 80s and 90s. They stage off any creek, stream, or canal. These don't know about Salmon River water so they would never head to the East end of Lake Ontario and sit in pizz warm water. I'd go so far as to let Altmar stock more fish from Rochester East to see if they can improve that fishery earlier in the season.

You have been around boiled fish and french onion wa to much..........lol. I agree Canadian fish would be great to rear on this side of the pond!

Fantastic idea.  Why not work together on such a great fishery to benefit both.

You have been around boiled fish and french onion wa to much..........lol. I agree Canadian fish would be great to rear on this side of the pond!

:)

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm from Michigan but love to get info from this forum when I can.

I think trying to get the Great Lakes states to agree to keep the salmon around is important, but would like to ask a question about this petition:  If the salmon are considered as naturalized and needed to keep alewive numbers low, what prevents the state from simply cutting all fishing for kings instead of stocking more.  I can imagine someone trying to completely cut the stocking programs, closing rivers to fishing in the fall, and lowering the lake limits to 1 or 2 fish a person.

I think trying to get the Great Lakes states to agree to keep the salmon around is important, but would like to ask a question about this petition:  If the salmon are considered as naturalized and needed to keep alewive numbers low, what prevents the state from simply cutting all fishing for kings instead of stocking more.  I can imagine someone trying to completely cut the stocking programs, closing rivers to fishing in the fall, and lowering the lake limits to 1 or 2 fish a person.

State government officials that work for us.

Gill-T,

Be thankful you arent asking for money!  I really thought you would have over a thousand signatures by now!  Its no wonder we cant get fish and game laws that make sense...sportsmen just dont care and would rather complain than participate....pathetic

Even if you dont fish for salmon, or dont even fish Lake Ontario you should be supporting this petition as a sportsman just on it's merit!   

Sign me up!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks dbutts.  Just go to the 1st page, and click on the link.  It will take you to the petition site.

I definitely respect this concern but to put it in perspective Steelhead are naturalized but definitely need the supplemental help of plantings and the dedicated volunteers who assist them over spawning barriers. The Pacifics reproduce successfully when ideal conditions are present, and can prosper in this man altered environment. We got another chance after building the seaway and letting in the invaders. Man is part of the environment, sometimes they make poor decisions--letting TRUE "exotics" in like Sea Lamprey, Alewives, and Zebra mussels. Other times they are brilliant decisions like planting Pacific Salmon. The documentation is there, they work. Economically, biologically, and recreationally. They have opened the door to todays possibilities. The bottom line is, they are a popular target both in the lake and river. With todays knowledge and skill out in the lake and pressure in the tribs, relying on just a natural population would be irresponsible both to anglers and the system. Today they are heavily targeted as an attractive target for anglers. The predators present at stocking sites are exponentially more present than even ten years ago, thus the "paper numbers" dont translate into the same number of fish to pursue or control alewives. Expanding the pen projects is a definite "no brainer".  The bottomline is they belong, they are and have been part of the solution, and do not need or deserve the same designation as a goby. This species deserves at least the same dedication and respect as the Lake trout when it comes to fisheries mangement.   

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni