Chinook Salmon "Naturalized" (No Donations Please)

The DEC admits that the pen raising survival rate is double over barge or shore stocking. Hopefully they will soon realize that this is the way to go.

Sure it’s going to cost more $ but in the long run they’re getting more bang for their buck

The DEC admits that the pen raising survival rate is double over barge or shore stocking. Hopefully they will soon realize that this is the way to go.

Sure it’s going to cost more $ but in the long run they’re getting more bang for their buck

All it costs them is the money for the food.  The pen projects are run by volunteers.  Need be, we could raise money to pay for the food if they did not want to pay for it. 

Five days and less than 200 sigs. Pathetic!!! Lurkers are totally worthless. I'll be thinking hard about any info I post here in the future. Will do more pm'ing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I agree totally bogus!  PM only those that signed it on this post!

Edited by Chas0218

Thank you for this explanation Capt Vince.  I believe we do need to do something to protect the salmon and the fishery - and thanks Gill-T for posting this petition.  I hope you get the signatures you need.

I definitely respect this concern but to put it in perspective Steelhead are naturalized but definitely need the supplemental help of plantings and the dedicated volunteers who assist them over spawning barriers. The Pacifics reproduce successfully when ideal conditions are present, and can prosper in this man altered environment. We got another chance after building the seaway and letting in the invaders. Man is part of the environment, sometimes they make poor decisions--letting TRUE "exotics" in like Sea Lamprey, Alewives, and Zebra mussels. Other times they are brilliant decisions like planting Pacific Salmon. The documentation is there, they work. Economically, biologically, and recreationally. They have opened the door to todays possibilities. The bottom line is, they are a popular target both in the lake and river. With todays knowledge and skill out in the lake and pressure in the tribs, relying on just a natural population would be irresponsible both to anglers and the system. Today they are heavily targeted as an attractive target for anglers. The predators present at stocking sites are exponentially more present than even ten years ago, thus the "paper numbers" dont translate into the same number of fish to pursue or control alewives. Expanding the pen projects is a definite "no brainer".  The bottomline is they belong, they are and have been part of the solution, and do not need or deserve the same designation as a goby. This species deserves at least the same dedication and respect as the Lake trout when it comes to fisheries mangement.   

Thank you for this explanation Capt Vince.  I believe we do need to do something to protect the salmon and the fishery - and thanks Gill-T for posting this petition.  I hope you get the signatures you need.

With a name like kingpossible I would hope you would be on board! :)  Just the beginning.  Steelhead and to some extent Browns have become naturalized.  Rally the troops in Michigan you get too many Lakers shoved into Lake Michigan for most sportsmans' liking.  Thanks for supporting our little experiment.

This will make you sick.  The feds ok the Columbia River power projects to feed the grid on the west coast and in turn destory the largest salmon runs the world has ever had in one system.  Now we all pay for the mistake.  I think it is time the federal government sent some of that money this way where it can be better used!!!!!

http://www.taxpayer.net/library/article/feds-spend-3.3-billion-on-salmon-recovery

Hold on guys where are you seeing a place for a donation?  I am not asking for donations and I really know nothing about the security of the petition site so if you are getting any prompts about donations I would tell you to ignore them.  Thank you.

Hold on guys where are you seeing a place for a donation? I am not asking for donations and I really know nothing about the security of the petition site so if you are getting any prompts about donations I would tell you to ignore them. Thank you.

When you sign the petition the next page that comes up from the same site is several donation amount options to support the Chinook salmon petition. Sounds like a big scam glad I gave them my name and email. I know you had nothing to do with it but someone is going to get some cash that has nothing to due with salmon

Edited by Hookedup

A lot of good discussion has been spawned from this topic and it is clear the primary stakeholders around Lake Ontario are for the proposed changes.  I will attempt to do what I can behind the scenes with an understanding that at some point all our voices will need to be heard and I will need your help.  With fishing season upon us it will be easy to forget we have one hatchery servicing our Pacific species and it is in a state of disrepair.  The DEC needs our help and support.

Tight lines

Chad

Edited by Gill-T

When you sign the petition the next page that comes up from the same site is several donation amount options to support the Chinook salmon petition. Sounds like a big scam glad I gave them my name and email. I know you had nothing to do with it but someone is going to get some cash that has nothing to due with salmon

It says in the fine print under that the donation goes to support the website and that none of it goes to support the petition or its cause.

I never had the donation prompts come across my screen as the originator of the petition so I don't know for sure what info was posted, however, I got the feeling that the site was misrepresenting the cause.  If people felt they were giving financially to a good cause then the petition site probably was not clear enough of the intentions and direction any donations would go.  I felt it sounded slimy and I did not want my name associated with them.  I think it may have taken to August before we got 1000 signatures with the rate we were going.  Important people saw the post and most of the heavy stakeholders agree with the premise of naturalizing Kings so most of the intended result was achieved. I know some of the DEC and Fish and Wildlife people have been following.