A boat is a good start.......that's one big question, only kidding on the boat, I'm assuming you have one. I would say just keep reading on here in "tackle & techniques" you will get so confused but at least get the idea.

THE BEST for sure is to jump on a couple of charters, some very good ones on this site. good luck

Wow, a 35 word question that would take a 30 page response to answer adequately. 😃

But seriously, what part of the lake and what time of year/species are you hoping to target. The answers will vary greatly based on those and many other parameters.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Tim Bromund

start off by going through posts here on lou.fishing reports,tackle and techniques,ect.if you are fishing the east end of the lake and are looking for salmon,you have lots of time to do your research.dan keating has some books and dvd's that are good.also,like was stated above,jump on a charter,post here in the trade a seat section that you would like to go out with someone to learn or sign up to be an observer for one of the many tournaments across the lake.once you start learning,you will be able to ask more detailed questions that can be answered by the great fisherman on this site.you can pm me and i would be happy to answer questions as best as i can.

book a charter, you will learn more in a day than a year behind a computer screen. as far as lures go, go green. you can also be an observer on a trip or two

Edited by steelydan

Start out with NK28 size spoons.  Northern King, Dreamweavers, Stingers are in just about everyone's arsenal.  Greens, Silvers, Oranges and Glows.  Adjust your boat speed so you get a good "wobble."   

Tom B.

(LongLine)

For the next few months you will find lots of trout near the mouths of creeks and our rivers. A surface temperature gauge is a good idea and anytime you find a spike in temperature more than a degree, the fish will relate to that. This water is often found near those creeks. You also want to look for off colored water on days that the lake is ultra clear. We refer to it as "pea green" or milky colored. Fish are more apt to bite our offerings in that water as opposed to the clear water.

Trolling with the wind offers better boat control if you have a smaller vessel or if you are inexperienced with trolling. Even after all these years, I seem to catch more fish going with the wind than against in my lighter boats. Don't get too close (1/2 mile), but getting parallel to a charter boat that is catching fish and matching it's speed is a sure bet too.

We have outstanding tackle shops here in New York. The owners will point out what people are buying and share information too. Truly though, hiring a captain provides a lifetime of learning in a few hours and is the BEST way to learn. Feel free to P.M. me with questions as you get started! Larry

Could be as simple as a  7' spin rod w/ 8 # test and a  few cleos & krocodiles and go to any of the local piers. . If you have a boat  get a few shallow stick baits & troll around in 5-10' of water. 

On the other end of the spectum,you can go as hog wild as you want.

Fish will be in close ice out till mid may. Don't forget the net.