Fishing eggs in our streams and rivers

The DEC is in the stage where they are asking us for proposals on regulation changes. One thing I think would help both stream and lake anglers is to restrict the use of eggs in NY streams and rivers to Salmon eggs only. This way Trout are not wasted just for the eggs. Let's face it the Salmon are running and dying. The Trout will do that multiple times throughout its life. I have no problems with people keeping their limit to consume, but to take the eggs and discard is unethical.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

there would have to be no harvest then of trout species... good idea in theory, but could never happen.

I don't see why you couldn't harvest trout. People buy licenses. You can keep what the regs allow. I just hate seeing senseless killing. I have no issues with someone who wants to eat the fish.

I dont think people who catch trout and dump them in the trash just for the eggs would follow this regulation anyway

There'd be no reason for them to if they cant fish with them in NY. Very easy to enforce. You're not allowed to have Trout eggs on your person.

The DEC is in the stage where they are asking us for proposals on regulation changes. One thing I think would help both stream and lake anglers is to restrict the use of eggs in NY streams and rivers to Salmon eggs only. This way Trout are not wasted just for the eggs. Let's face it the Salmon are running and dying. The Trout will do that multiple times throughout its life. I have no problems with people keeping their limit to consume, but to take the eggs and discard is unethical.

I agree.  Unless you are going to consume the fish, there is no reason to kill it.  Salmon eggs are very effective.  There are many regulations that are not enforced as well as they should be, often due to lack of manpower on the side of the DEC. Sure, some guys will always cheat and bend the rules. This doesn't mean we shouldn't set the bar higher as sportsmen, to help insure a fishery for the next generation.   

If you don't think guys kill trout only for their eggs, spend some time on the tribs.  I have seen too many fish gutted on the spot for eggs because the angler thought he could catch one more fish with trout eggs, then dump the rest of the fish.

As sportsmen we should also be conservationists. 

Start with the enforcement issue first, then move on to new regs. The other issue is most CO's could not tell the difference between some trout eggs and salmon eggs. There Deff needs to be something done on the west end tribs, that is where it seems to be the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Start with the enforcement issue first, then move on to new regs. The other issue is most CO's could not tell the difference between some trout eggs and salmon eggs. There Deff needs to be something done on the west end tribs, that is where it seems to be the issue.

Salmon eggs are twice the size of Trout eggs. If they can measure a leader or hook gap they should be able to point out egg size. Let's not short change these officers. Most were all sportsmen before they become DEC officers.

This is a problem EVERYWHERE in NY. Even Steel eggs in the Spring.

Edited by Yankee Troller

Compare coho eggs to BT eggs, not much difference, esp if they ho eggs, are not fully mature. Again, not disagreeing with you, but this would be tough. The other side is they could also go take it to the point of no eggs period, that would not be a good thing. Just saying

Brown trout eggs are the best producers and brown trout are the best eaters. There are always a group of do gooders to screw up things that are fine now. Just because you want to save the fish for yourself maybe we should make you stop fishing for the day after you catch your limit even after releasing them.

People don't follow rules now, let's make some more for them to not care about?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Not a great mentality, but you speak the truth. There will always be someone breaking rules, but the majority of people follow them. Hey, the state stopped the sale of Trout eggs by retailers. This really isn't much different. Salmon eggs work just fine, and those fish are coming to die.

Brown trout eggs are the best producers and brown trout are the best eaters. There are always a group of do gooders to screw up things that are fine now. Just because you want to save the fish for yourself maybe we should make you stop fishing for the day after you catch your limit even after releasing them.

You have it all wrong! I'm against SENSELESS killing of fish. I have NO issues with people eating whatever they catch. This will save the fish for EVERYONE. People in the streams and Lake.

Edited by Yankee Troller

Just to clear up one point that I hear over and over about closing tribs during spawning season. There is so little successful natural reproduction of the trout species in our Southern tribs, that closing them would not have a measurable impact on recruiting new fish to the system.

Now some true natal tribs like Orwell Brook on the salmon river could be closed in April as it has been known from a study of how successful natural repo is... to be a successful spawner should be closed.

Brown trout, Steelhead and Coho Salmon spend over a year in a trib before migrating to the lake, therefore must summer over in our warm lethal streams and rivers. Survival rate to adult stage is minute at best.

There are current regs of not harvesting eggs and discarding carcasses, no chumming regs etc, and yet the only way to stop it is to "catch" violators in the act. We all know there aren't enough CO's in the field, especially during the brown trout spawning season when you have Upland Game, Waterfowl, and Deer hunting going on at the same time.

I'm all for regs that can and will be enforced, to Rich D's and others points DEC struggles to enforce the ones we got. If you see somebody doing this.....either call DEC, video them, take a picture, or follow them to their car and get their license plate number. And you have to be careful out there because those that do this intentionally, might be more inclined to get in an altercation with you. But we are going to have to start policing the raping of our resource and that's tricky.

The reason the Canada tribs are closed until the last Sat in April (Only above the Canada railway system that runs parallel to LO and intersects all the popular tribs on the north Shore) is those streams do promote Natural repo, with good cold clear water even in summer.

Not a great mentality, but you speak the truth. There will always be someone breaking rules, but the majority of people follow them. Hey, the state stopped the sale of Trout eggs by retailers. This really isn't much different. Salmon eggs work just fine, and those fish are coming to die.

It's better to be a realist than an optimist sometimes....

Why not just make using a float when fishing tribs and would eliminate all the snaggers. Use eggs if you want. Force guys to learn how to "truly" catch a fish.

No one should tell you how to fish. If you're by the book use a pin, spin, or fly set-up. That's not my point here. I just hate seeing pictures of freezers full of roe when I know the fish themselves are not being consumed. All that so they can use it to catch and kill more fish just for the roe. It's senseless killing.

It was just a thought.