Fishing eggs in our streams and rivers

How about I clear up for you the fact that most of us know there is minimal reproduction and the reason I would like to see certain sections of certain water closed to fishing during specific weeks is because I'm sick of seeing 30 vehicles from various other states up and down the east coast show up packed with 4 guys a piece that will keep their limit for 3 consecutive days during a trip to wny. In low water years like the past two, fish have zero chance of making it through these gauntlets of yahoos. I'd like to see some fish make it upstream to spread out and give me something to fish to all winter. This is also why I'd like to see the brown trib limit dropped.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

my thoughts, I think the easiest way for the state to help us control this is closing off the streams. I would suggest not to close the stream in it's entirety, but to close it say 4 out of 7 days a week.  So if fishing when closed, here comes the ticket and now the DEC only has to really watch for 3 or 4 days a week they could do a better job. Some streams close early in the week and others later so opportunities are available to fish.

With reproducing just last fall on the catt I caught 2 rainbows (same day) that were fingerlings 3-4" so some are making it.

I have never kept a trout for its eggs, and I have caught my share. The cheater will always be the cheater

There was a time when you could not use eggs on Naples Creek.  The runs of rainbows jumping grimes glen was alaska-like.  Not much happening there now as eggs are legal.  I think if you identified natural reproduction streams and hold a no-egg restriction on them it would make sense.  The polluted creeks where the meat-hunters prowl allow eggs and high creel limits.  A little something for everyone.

I don't care about crowds. I don't care about people who keep fish to eat. I don't care how you guys fish for them. I'm just sick of seeing fish roped just so people can get roe. With all the techniques out there these days, cures, beads, flies, etc why do we need to kill a fish just so we can catch more!?!?!?

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just my 2 cents, but this seems like the age old debate of regulation or education, and I am generally against increased regulations. There are always going to be those who simply will not follow the rules, and there is little that can be done about that besides increased enforcement. If you are killing and wasting fish for eggs, another rule won’t change anything, it will just make things more difficult for the law abiding anglers.  I think that it would be more productive to educate the ethical anglers about the benefits of C&R practices rather than to impose reduced creel limits. For me fishing is a passion and not a means to survive, while others may not have that luxury and need to rely on our natural resources to reduce the financial burden of food costs. Similarly, I see nothing wrong with finding a good use for what is essentially a byproduct that would otherwise be thrown out. I should point out that I rarely use any type of eggs for bait unless I am DESPERATE; I find them to be too messy and stinky to worth the hassle when an egg patterns work great, but just because eggs don’t “float my boat†doesn’t mean I think they should be banned.

How about I clear up for you the fact that most of us know there is minimal reproduction and the reason I would like to see certain sections of certain water closed to fishing during specific weeks is because I'm sick of seeing 30 vehicles from various other states up and down the east coast show up packed with 4 guys a piece that will keep their limit for 3 consecutive days during a trip to wny. In low water years like the past two, fish have zero chance of making it through these gauntlets of yahoos. I'd like to see some fish make it upstream to spread out and give me something to fish to all winter. This is also why I'd like to see the brown trib limit dropped.

I dont think the DEC is going to support ideas that reduce fishing opportunities for anglers.  I understand your pain, but they dont stock trout so a few locals have world class fishing.  They stock the fish so EVERYONE including out of state residents have an opportunity to fish.  I hate the way people treat the streams, but the answer isnt to limit fishing opportunities.  Keep in mind most of us travel from somewhere to fish.  

Edited by justtracytrolling

As for the point of the thread, its absurd to kill trout just to have bait to fish for more trout.  I know of an angler that snags browns in a certain fingerlakes outflow just for skein to fish all winter.  Id turn him in, but have no idea exactly when it takes place.  The angler actually showed me several  jars he had and told me how he obtained them.  Id like to think he ate the fish.

More regulation would cut down on non resident license sales but license revenues are falling with lifetime license sales, less youth fishing and costs rising we need more help, not less.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The only reason you wouldn't like this regulation is for selfish ones. 

More Pros to add to the pot:

More "food" for the fish to eat throughout the Winter with more eggs in the system

More chance for Natural Reproduction

More angling opportunities in the streams

We don't need to close down river or restrict access. This is a great fishery all around. Why not protect it?

I feel like it would be punishing those guys that consider part of 'not wasting' using eggs from harvested trout to use as bait to catch more fish to put food on the table for their families. Its a cycle. I agree that salmon eggs can be just effective. I'm a jig fisherman, myself. Its just slightly unfair to those few guys who actually are on the up and up and are conscious about their use of the entire harvest.

I never understood guys that kill trout for eggs to catch more trout.........Banning eggs all together would be the only way to resolve this. 

I don't think we need to go that far Brian. Salmon are entering the rivers to spawn and die. I don't see why we couldn't use their eggs. 

I feel like it would be punishing those guys that consider part of 'not wasting' using eggs from harvested trout to use as bait to catch more fish to put food on the table for their families. Its a cycle. I agree that salmon eggs can be just effective. I'm a jig fisherman, myself. Its just slightly unfair to those few guys who actually are on the up and up and are conscious about their use of the entire harvest.

There are so many techniques and lure options out there now days I think people will still be very successful.

I'm with you though.....I LOVE a jig bite!

Whatever I wish to do with my limit of fish is none of your business.  If I wish to bring it home and wear it as a hat I will; drop it off at the taxidermist I will; make some homemade caviar, eat them and get sick, I will.  The charter folk see these fish as a means to make money so of course lowering the limit/fun for clients hurts business, but I dont give a crap about your business.  Asking the goverenment to move in, only in your calculated way so that your fun/profits are protected is pathetic.  If biologists deem the current regulations unsustainable, they ought to adjust existing regulations becasue most NY'ers that I talk to are sick and tired of new ones.                    

Whatever I wish to do with my limit of fish is none of your business.  If I wish to bring it home and wear it as a hat I will; drop it off at the taxidermist I will; make some homemade caviar, eat them and get sick, I will.  The charter folk see these fish as a means to make money so of course lowering the limit/fun for clients hurts business, but I dont give a crap about your business.  Asking the goverenment to move in, only in your calculated way so that your fun/profits are protected is pathetic.  If biologists deem the current regulations unsustainable, they ought to adjust existing regulations becasue most NY'ers that I talk to are sick and tired of new ones.                    

You're so far off the point it's ridiculous! You obviously don't know me. I stream fish A LOT when the boat goes away. This has nothing to do with Lake fishing. It would benefit EVERYONE. 

You are mislead if you think the Lake guys are putting a hurting on these fish. It's a big lake out there! Look at the DEC numbers. REC guys catching 3 fish per trip. Charters catching 8 fish per trip. I'm gonna be honest with you and say that most charters out there probably shouldn't be chartering if it came down to fishing ability. They just can't catch them, but there is more to it than just catching fish. Not to mention a lot of the charter businesses out there are declining. Put those numbers against the fish that walk off in a stream and river for 6 months and I guarantee more leave the bank of the river than on a boat. The charter and guide businesses are going to be there with or without this reg. It's about protecting a resource.

I want people to keep fish for consumption. I DON'T want to lower limits. I want to stop the waste! This is no different than a guy killing a buck just for the antlers and leaving the meat to rot. Is that ethical? No, and either is killing a fish for the eggs and tossing the rest of it.

The PROs far out weigh the CONs here, and if you can't see that you're being selfish. I've talked with avid stream guys, and they also see the benefit this would have on the fishery as a whole.

The government has already stepped in. You can't sell Trout Eggs because of the same issue. People killing trout just to sell the egg. This would be an extension of a reg already in place. 

I'll list the PROs again, and please tell me which one(s) you think are not valid:

More food in the stream for the fish throughout the stream season

More angler opportunities throughout the stream season to catch fish

Less careless killing of fish

More opportunity for natural reproduction

Edited by Yankee Troller