Fishing eggs in our streams and rivers

I don't think we need to go that far Brian. Salmon are entering the rivers to spawn and die. I don't see why we couldn't use their eggs.

For ease of enforcement, this is the only way. The slobs taking eggs from kings and throwing them on the bank needs to stop just as much as trout. With natural reproduction high for kings, why not protect them? The salmon river has high reproduction rates yet the river does not close down sections to protect the kings from rednecks ripping them out by the butt or walking through their reds.

For ease of enforcement, this is the only way. The slobs taking eggs from kings and throwing them on the bank needs to stop just as much as trout. With natural reproduction high for kings, why not protect them? The salmon river has high reproduction rates yet the river does not close down sections to protect the kings from rednecks ripping them out by the butt or walking through their reds.

I'd wager it's becasue Yankee enjoys fishing salmon skein under a float in the estuaries when they are staged up.  See it for what it is; a guy who will round up a possee to cry at the govt to get what benefits him under the guise of saving a fishery and opportunity for everyone, pfffffft.   

Gambler, the creek you dock your boat at actually has significantly better natural brown reproduction than the majority of others around. You really don't think closing the lower stretches for even just 3 consecutive days early in the run would provide some benefit?

Sent from my VS930 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm not a biologist and have very limited environmental knowledge but I just gotta imagine if that many more fish were able to make it upstream instead of being corralled under the bridge or at the syc stretch it would have to do some good. I'm sure it's like that at many of the smaller tribs.

We invest money into pen rearing projects to imprint fish to specific tribs and I think a little something extra should be done to protect that investment. Eliminating brown egg use could potentially benefit. But it come at the expense of infringing on a sportsman right to a type of fishing. I understand that closing access to public water also infringes on someone's right to fish during the year. Conservation is an up hill battle. There's people on both sides of the fence. However, fact remains that common ground does need to be found because abuse of our outdoor resources is an ongoing issue that needs to be addressed before its too late.

Gambler, the creek you dock your boat at actually has significantly better natural brown reproduction than the majority of others around. You really don't think closing the lower stretches for even just 3 consecutive days early in the run would provide some benefit?

I'm all for a change in the trib regs. Closing sections of prime breeding for all species that naturally reproduce is only benefitting all of us. I'm also in favor of a one trout limit on the smaller tribs.

I'm all for a change in the trib regs. Closing sections of prime breeding for all species that naturally reproduce is only benefitting all of us. I'm also in favor of a one trout limit on the smaller tribs.

I'm not for either of those regs bud. Sorry. The fishery is here for the people. It's put and take. I just want to curb the un-ethical taking.

Edited by Yankee Troller

I don't think personally killing a few trout per season for eggs is unethical. No more unethical than people who harvest with the intent to consume but then toss the fillets out a year later because they are freezer burned. Salmon eggs aren't nearly as effective once you get into the winter months. Bead fishing has drastically curbed the number of guys who are killing trout for roe. Guys who fish bags should be able to keep fish within their legal limit for whatever they want to do with them. I don't agree with this proposed reg. Let me ask you a question if you are concerned about opportunity. How many browns or steelhead did your clients legally harvest last year? How many kings that were caught during tourneys were just dumped in the trash after weigh in? None of those contributed to potential opportunity come fall. I release 99% of the fish I catch from November to April in the tribs. I don't think my removal

Of 2 or 3 trout a year for roe is excessive or unethical in the grand scheme of things.

I agree with Angling Addict.... Just because guys choose to fish trout bags doesn't make them disrespectful of the fishery....

I too have observed blatent waste at tournament weigh ins.... Fish weighed in out of coolers with no ice in them will never be consumed. At one tournament, I observed an amish gent fill his truck bed with "donated" kings.... great for him, and glad to see those fish not go to waste, but in my mind it was a red flag, indicating that in tournaments many of the fish are used for nothing more than dead weight.... literally.

Perhaps the DEC should become more involved with tournament fishing ethics.... Perhaps even pass some legislation that would somehow regulate tournaments.... maybe even require some kind of fee to be paid to the state.... after all, someone is making money off these tournaments....even if it is just to promote their service.... like we have 8 first place wins.....off fish stocked with "public funds".....

Every tournament I have been to on Lake Ontario there were people tripping over themselves to ask for fish after weigh-in. I have no doubt that they exceed the in-possesion limit, but who cares as the fish were put to good use.  Tournament anglers do ice their fish as fish loose weight if they dry out so they are well cared for.

I'm not for either of those regs bud. Sorry. The fishery is here for the people. It's put and take. I just want to curb the un-ethical taking.

No need to apologize Rick.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. 

I don't think personally killing a few trout per season for eggs is unethical. No more unethical than people who harvest with the intent to consume but then toss the fillets out a year later because they are freezer burned. Salmon eggs aren't nearly as effective once you get into the winter months. Bead fishing has drastically curbed the number of guys who are killing trout for roe. Guys who fish bags should be able to keep fish within their legal limit for whatever they want to do with them. I don't agree with this proposed reg. Let me ask you a question if you are concerned about opportunity. How many browns or steelhead did your clients legally harvest last year? How many kings that were caught during tourneys were just dumped in the trash after weigh in? None of those contributed to potential opportunity come fall. I release 99% of the fish I catch from November to April in the tribs. I don't think my removal

Of 2 or 3 trout a year for roe is excessive or unethical in the grand scheme of things.

I agree with Angling Addict.... Just because guys choose to fish trout bags doesn't make them disrespectful of the fishery....

I too have observed blatent waste at tournament weigh ins.... Fish weighed in out of coolers with no ice in them will never be consumed. At one tournament, I observed an amish gent fill his truck bed with "donated" kings.... great for him, and glad to see those fish not go to waste, but in my mind it was a red flag, indicating that in tournaments many of the fish are used for nothing more than dead weight.... literally.

Perhaps the DEC should become more involved with tournament fishing ethics.... Perhaps even pass some legislation that would somehow regulate tournaments.... maybe even require some kind of fee to be paid to the state.... after all, someone is making money off these tournaments....even if it is just to promote their service.... like we have 8 first place wins.....off fish stocked with "public funds".....

I love a good debate, but you guys are really just trying to grab at things. You want to talk #'s. I am involved in 2 events on the lake. A little over 400 fish were taken at the one throughout a 2 day period, and way less than that at the other. 99% of these fish harvested do not go to waste. We run charters many times for tourneys and those fish go to the clients. If we are fishing a tourney team I can bring those fish into work, and within minutes they are gone. 400 fish is nothing. That walks off the Salmon River daily October-November. Let's also bring up the fact the State and Federal govt. attend these events to gather data on our fishery. Half the teams (which these things probably average 30 boats) don't even catch a tourney limit 90% of the time. There is no damage being done in tourneys when we are stocking 4 million fish a year, and then adding natural reproduction to that figure.

You guys are twisting a suggestion to death all because you're concerned about your numbers in the stream. You're more worried about your numbers than the health of the fish in that stream. I feel I'm a well rounded angler. I fish every season on the lake and tribs. You don't see me complaining about a fish in the trib getting hooked every day? Or sometimes twice a day? You think that's healthy for the fishery? You think that doesn't hurt them when it comes to what they are really there for......to spawn? But I'm not even going there!

Again, like other posters above, instead of offering up a solution you want to dig at other things, and think this is a personal issue I have. Maybe it's the fact you don't see this happening in your region of the lake. Guys stock pilling freezers full of eggs, and not consuming the fish is flat out unethical, and unsportsmanlike. It's happening a lot more than you may know.

Does anyone have an opinion on milking fish? Is that unethical die to the stress it causes the fish? I know there's a lot of guys out there that milk and release.

Interesting.....I just learned yesterday there isn't a law saying you can't do this in NYS. I always thought it was illegal.

Theoretically it can be illegal based on egg possession laws.  Your only allowed to have so many eggs on your person stream-side, one quart max I believe. 

Again our problem on the streams stems from a enforcement/conviction problem, not having enough laws on the books problem.  Adding one more doesn't help if nothing comes of someone breaking it and knowing even if they get caught nothing will happen or the penalty is not even enough to be an annoyance.

JakeyBaby he is saying if a female trout has loose eggs you squeeze the fish to have the trout release the eggs without having to kill the fish to get them.  Then release the milked fish live.