Water Level after thaw still low?

Are they keeping levels low on purpose ? The ice is gone on Braddocks bay / salmon creek and the water is still the same as November levels. It doesn't seem like a normal spring run off.

3-24-2015: Water levels last 24 hrs ~244.1 feet above see level

3-24-2014: Water levels 244.56 feet. 

So we are about 6 inches lower at the moment and 6 month predictions are lower than last year.  Unless we get rain, I think the real issue will be September when levels get low.  There is still a lot of ice up river (Lake Erie) that needs to thaw and flow down once the ice dam is removed.  I am not panicked yet.

Guys/gals,

Much of the Lake Ontario water level is regulated by the Moses-Saunders Dam in the St. Lawrence. I'm sure we are close to the seasonal variation as referenced by Jason's post above. And although I have no idea how/when they start closing the dam to raise the water level in the spring, but it happens every year and levels go up in April and May. That being said, there must also be a heck of a lot of water still stored in all that ice which still has yet to fully melt on the Great Lakes.

I know that there was some sort of proposal going around last year (possibly called Plan2014) which had some controversy regarding further regulatory issues on water levels - i.e. shoreline property owners were concerned that they would lose frontage to a rise in water levels.

There are many moving parts with the water level, but I wouldn't get too nervous unless it's still way down in mid April.

Chris

Remember the lake continues to rise until June.  It will come up quick.  Tug Hill is still loaded with snow.  It will thaw and add to the lake total.  The last couple years we got monsoon rain in May and things changed quickly. 

I also checked Olcott yesterday before I read this post and was shocked at how low the level was.  I have a 20 Ft Lund and I think my trailer is longer then the end of the ramp.  

It will be interesting to see what the near shore fishing is like with boulders just under the surface in tight.

The water was murky at Olcott when I checked.  I couldn't see how far the ramp went out into the water.  It can't be far.  They just dredged that marina.  There could be a substantial drop-off at the end of the ramp.  I have a 16' Tracker.  There may not be enough ramp for me either.  Add to that a missing part of the dock.  Crazy.

I'm pretty sure its not 3-4' below normal march levels. Its about 4-6". Well be fine.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

While I believe the overall lake is only 4"-6" inches down it must have a pronounced effect in some areas.  When I was on the Summerville Pier days back I know the difference in water height that it came up to on the pier from early April last year and mid March this year would be measure in feet and not inches.  Like you say I am not overly concerned yet and I know there is still snow and ice out there, but I notice the effects of this lower water here being more dramatic that whats reported.

Edited by pvelyk