Whitby/Pickering Hot Spots

Hi All,

I'm planning to venture out for my first Lake O experience and am wondering if anyone can give me some ideas (locations/lures/etc) on fishing for browns in the Whitby/Pickering area. Seems most of the posts are targeted around the west end of the lake so I'm hoping someone can give advice for this part of the lake.

Has anyone been out here recently?

Thanks again.

Hey djbps,

This is my first year in lake ontario as well.

I have been out 3 times this year out of whitby, I have been trying orange meps, small spoons, and an assortment of stickbaits from 5 feet of water to 40 feet.

Not even a hit yet, so I guess this is what not to do. lol :)

I seem to mark most of my fish at the river mouth at pickering in about 10 feet of water.

Let me know if you have any luck

• 3 weeks later...

I fish out of Pickering. I haven't been out much yet however the fish don't get over to this area until the summer. Thats not saying they are not there. There's a lot more action out west. i would like to know if anyone has had any luck yet out east?

The fish are active in teh south and west end of the lake till early summer when they begin to travel to the north areas, Pickering/Whitby. If you were to fish out of Port Credit or better yet Oakville you would have more success. Not saying there are no fish out of Whitby because I marked a few last week but the water is still consistently cold. If you get down to Oakville or Bronte try between 120 -180 FOW down 50 - 80ft with spinnies and fly or meat has hooked up as well as of late. Nothing beats being on teh water and it would be nice to see a successful post from Whitby. Good luck and be safe.

• 3 weeks later...

I fish out of pickering mostly, just getting into big lake fishing myself. The fish do not usually arrive till later in the summer. The wash @ the nuke plant has always produced. Got four browns last week in the slackwater to the east of the plant. Casting a gold coloured spoon.. and a firetiger rapala. Biggest was about 7lbs. Went back out two days later & caught nothing? Thats fishing! Troll about a mile out from shore early in the season about 60 FOW, had a few steelhead last year on big shiny spoons on the surface. Lots of big smallies @ the outlet but hard to fish with the current from the wash, have got a few though. Drum,carp, white bass, even saw an alligator gar on friday past.