Dipsy Diver Color

I am thinking of getting some new dipsy divers to replace the ones I lost last year. I originally used different colored dipsy divers on my four rod set up but several years ago switched to all black. I am having difficulty finding black dipsys and wonder what the new hot colors are for both trout and salmon onLake Ontario and walleyes on Lake Erie. Do dipsy colors even matter?

Thanks,

Steeleman

Spray black works,

Also I tried Chinook divers last year.....luv them for walleye less diver drag......bought them i n powder coated flat blat for this year.

http://www.chinookdiver.com/product.html

But make sure you order the one that is black. I ordered a #5 in black and they sent me one with tape on it.

I wrote to chinookdiver and they never answered my email about it.

Patriot, I just recieved the #5's I had ordered in black and was sent the one's with tape. After looking at the their website again I don't think that size 5 comes in all black yet. I also emailed them about the sharp burrs on them and they did reply. Try to contact them again.

• 4 weeks later...

Patriot, I represent Chinook Divers, if we missed your email, I am truly sorry. Please try again, I will get your email. We try hard, but no excuses, once in a while we miss one! We are working to add a deburring operation into the manufacturing process as well as a few other little "tweaks" to optimize the divers. Please don't give up on us!

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've bought a set of the Chinook divers as well. They pull nicely through the water but I have yet to rely on them.. I'll use them some more this year. I will admit they do release nicely.

As far as color. I run black Mags for close and deep and clear for spoons high and far

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A couple thing come to mind when considering diver color (s): Are you trying to use them as "attractors"  or as something to get the lure down deeper without a whole lot of attention being called to the diver?  When the fish are aggressively biting it may not make a difference. Most of my divers are painted black (with spray paint designated for plastic as the other stuff doesn't adhere well) but I also have some that I have left alone that are brightly colored. Some of my decision regarding which to use depends on water clarity. If the water is real clear (as it usually is these days) I use black, if it is murky or colored up I use brightly colored divers that may help call attention to the fly or spoon trailing behind it. Much of the time I use my Deeper Divers in 124 mm size because of the wide depth range (i have bumped bottom at 150 ft with them on wire) but I also have the small and mag sized Luhr Jensen's for shallower presentations and most are black. The rationale is that black is a commonly seen object color in the environment and it also highlights well against the lighter colors of the sky presenting as a strong "shadow" figure in the water which I think may not "spook" the fish as being something unnatural.

Don't matter..pink..polka dots..whatever.

It's not wiggling making noise flashing thumping vibrating or otherwise attracting. It's a diver. The lure matters more.

Paint them your favorite color.