Penn Yan 295 Prowler

PeltHunter

Hey guys I'm thinking about going to look at a 295 Penn Yan Prowler soon and was looking for a little more info on them. Any known issues and what are they like for space in the cockpit and in the cabin? I can't really find any pics of the inside of the boats and after scouring sites such as The Hull Truth I can't really find any reviews on them. Thanks Paul

Yes I called him for more pics but haven't got them yet. I thought in one of the original postings for it he said it was refit with 350 MPI Horizons..

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

i was supposed to go look at it yesterday but seems like with that hours and just by talking to him it didnt seem like it was in the best of shape and i know he said the stringer and transom were original which could be an issue, if i do end up taking a look at it i'll get some pictures, he also mentioned its filthy inside

i was supposed to go look at it yesterday but seems like with that hours and just by talking to him it didnt seem like it was in the best of shape and i know he said the stringer and transom were original which could be an issue, if i do end up taking a look at it i'll get some pictures, he also mentioned its filthy inside

Thanks for the heads up. Messy is no big deal I was more worried about whether or not they had Baha like stringer and Transom issues which it sounds like they do.

I can tell you one thing. To have new stringers, bulkheads and a transom replacement is a minimum of 15k. I looked at a Rampage which is the same size and got 2 estimates and both were very close to each other. I got one estimate in Sodus and one a bit east or there. It's not cheap.

If you find a Penn Yan that's been done already, your in luck.

I've went to see two penny's while searching for the new ride. Both boats. Beautiful and we'll kept but both had bad stringers. Don't be afraid to take a few wrenches and try to turn the engine mount bolts. Also, the drain holes, should be large enough to reach your fingers up into on the stringers, they never glassed these holes after drilling them. You will feel rotten wet wood if they are bad. Spongy.

Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Saw both of those. A bit out of my price range and as far as the Seatracker I'd like to have two engines. Just makes the odds of not making it back in under your own power a little less likely. Thanks though guys!

Be sure to look further inland. Are you set on a yan? Surveyors are great. Not to sure if any yans locally other then the one above are great. I think there's one In port bay?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not set on a Penn Yan but there seems to be some out there for a reasonable amount of money. Definitely will have any boat surveyed. I'm starting to see that for the money the 10 meter trojans are almost the way to go. Although a much bigger boat, more expensive to run and not trailerable to storage they have a lot more room to stay on as a slipped boat and can be found in the 18-25k range not rigged. Also a great fishing platform as I've fished on a couple over the years. 

Patriot that seems like a good deal for that boat I might have to check it out and look further on that website.