Bluegill Cakes

I think most of us like our panfish done with breading and deep fried in some fashion. Here is a great way to enjoy those little fillets in a cake kind of way either right on your plate or in a sandwich with mayo, lettuce and tomato!

First get a medium pot of water warming on the stove. Leave room for fillets.

Next add 30 fillets to the pot and bring the water to a slow boil. Stir them occasionally as the water slowly boils Yup! Sounds sacreligious...poached bluegills! But it gets better...

After the fillets start to break apart as you stir they are done in the water. They smell like shrimp!

Pour the meat in a colander and let cool and dry. Get them as dry as you can and place them in a large bowl where you can mix in some flavorings.

I like Old Bay, powdered garlic, lemon pepper, powdered onion, parsley, chives, salt and pepper, and a few dashes of soy sauce. Mix it all in with a wooden spoon carefully so you don't break all the meat smaller than a quarter inch, some will flake. Use what ever you like to your taste. I can see the spices on the fish meat as a guide for me and I go more with Old Bay than the other spices.

After all the spices are mixed in the meat, beat a large egg and add it to the bowl of meat. Mix it in and if you need one more egg it's ok, but don't saturate the meat, you want it to be tacky.

Add Italian bread crumbs and stir it gently in until you can form cakes with it. Make them about 3/4 to an inch thick and then dust them with flour or shore lunch fish batter mix. If you have trouble forming cakes cause the mixture is too dry, add some olive oil to help.

In a medium fry pan melt half stick of butter and olive oil enough to be about 1/4 inch deep and bring to 375 degrees. Fry the cakes about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Flip them gently so they don't break apart by using two wide plastic spatula flippers. 

Remove from pan onto a paper towel lined platter and let drain and absorb extra oil. 

Enjoy your bluegill cakes!

Mark 

• Like 1

I do the same thing Mark. It is a nice change of pace. I have tried it with salmon and steelhead too. Comes out really good!

Cool Brian! I'll try it with the Salmon. Any particular spices you like with salmon cakes?

I have done something similar with salmon also. I used panko breadcrumbs both plain and spicy. I placed the formed patty in pankos and coated both sides then fried. nice crispy coating. Definitely a great way to eat any fish. kids liked it too! I made it "healthy" by putting it in a wrap with a bunch of dill pickles and tomato.

post-152882-14275007302465_thumb.jpg

I have done something similar with salmon also. I used panko breadcrumbs both plain and spicy. I placed the formed patty in pankos and coated both sides then fried. nice crispy coating. Definitely a great way to eat any fish. kids liked it too! I made it "healthy" by putting it in a wrap with a bunch of dill pickles and tomato.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1427500729.107579.jpg

Hey now!...ok, that's what the doctor ordered!..great improv!

Cool Brian! I'll try it with the Salmon. Any particular spices you like with salmon cakes?

I boil the filets in very salty water with old bay and a little dill. I use a crab cake recipe that my wife got from one of the girls at work. It has old bay, dried mustard, onion, green pepper, Italian style breadcrumbs and an egg.

I boil the filets in very salty water with old bay and a little dill. I use a crab cake recipe that my wife got from one of the girls at work. It has old bay, dried mustard, onion, green pepper, Italian style breadcrumbs and an egg.

Sounds good! That's the way I boil blue crabs, clams and fish right on the beach when down in the outer banks. Sea water in a big pot along with old bay! Thanks!

Sounds good! That's the way I boil blue crabs, clams and fish right on the beach when down in the outer banks. Sea water in a big pot along with old bay! Thanks!

I forgot to add some mayo to the list. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've done it with Lakers as well, if you aren't sure of the taste just add more old bay, it makes just about everything taste better! Like Brian said above, I think it really is key to season the water while you poach them.

• 4 months later...