How do u run your fly?

Have always ran them with the tinsel covering the thread and not exposed as I believe they are supposed to be run...although I have seen multiple people rig them "backwards" and catch plenty of fish and does give the fly a different look...

Coho flies / teasers / twinkies have thread forward [ showing ]

Salmon flies should have the skirt forward to give it the full color scheme

and the larger profile..

At least that's my opinion....

Both ways work, it depends on the mood of the fish whether they want the bigger profile fly of the lower profile that particular day.  I normally run mine with the bigger profile, but I have also seen flies that have caught so many fish and were so beat up that only a half dozen strands of tinsel remained, yet they still catch fish like crazy, so it really may not matter much which way you run them.

You just need to buy one more of every fly you own Dan, that way you can have each option ready at a moments notice! :)  Because you really could use more tackle! :rofl: Options, options, options!

you bring up some good points Jason. I started doing it while fishing the fingers so fish size might be a factor as well as bait size i suppose. Though sawbellies can get pretty big in Seneca too. Kind of a pain to switch the fly around. based on input so far it looks like i might not change what i am doing it seems to work for the most part.

Thanks

I run my fly down whenever I can

It is a different form of trolling :lol:  and it is tough to run out as far as you might like sometimes :)

I run flies both ways and have caught good fish on both approaches and both smaller flies and larger (usually hand tied home made ones) My hunch is that like in spoon and stick presentations it is the specific ACTION that is critical. The fact that "worn out" flies still catch them seems to support this too.