Snow Geese

Today's D&C had a panoramic picture on page 3 of a huge flock of snow geese on Canandaigua Lake.

Anybody know anything about the migration there?

Doesn't the hunting season for them go into April?

Anyone doing any hunting?

C2.

I'm just kinda curious, never targeted snows, but I read that you gotta have a massive decoy array and serious total camo on top of being mobile--basically being able to chase them from field to field.

Congrats to your son.

Did he have an experience like that or was he ambushing them as they came/left feeding fields?

Chas

Ive hunted those guys before. Very very smart and usually don't spend more than a day or two in the same field. The times Ive been after them, we used over 1K socks and kites. Most of the time ,the birds you get to decoy are the juvies. Alot of guys find a field with birds in them, then they sneak the field and jump shoot the flock. Nothing wrong or illegal about that, just not my cup of tea. Good luck chasing the whites. Post up some pics if you get into them.

Yes we too have seen an unbelievable amount of Blue's. Will be very interesting to see what the future holds for the migration through Western NY. (Every year it seems more show up, this year being by far the most and today by far the most I have ever seen in one area!)

Over the last few years, New York Outdoor News has had a couple of articles regarding snows. They were seriously endangered back in the day and successful conservation methods were applied both here and in Canada.

Fast forward, and the flock has experienced massive growth and, as a result, is apparently causing extensive ecological damage not only in their nesting range up north but also in their wintering range.

Looks like the wildlife biologists both here and in Canada have  declared war and want to thin the herd, which accounts for the long seasons and generous limits.

Hopefully, we'll see more and more of these birds in WNY.

Chasing them fills the shooting gap from late goose

to turkeys. 

Picked up my first two ever today, after securing some new access. Jumped a small flock of about 50 after a 45 minute stalk. Will be headed back soon hopefully with a friend who has all the gear and decoys to do it the right way next time. There were 1000's flying and landing.

I didn't realize they were so small compared to Canada's.

3C638C56-F55D-4681-A184-CF403E1A3266-105

Went on a guided hunt in Kansas 3 weeks ago, Here is Sqauw  creek refuge with 700,000 birds on it.  Tried hunting them locally 8 years ago with no luck I agree with Matt I am not a jump shooter. ( anymore LOL)  We  found out some things we were doing wrong from the guided hunt starting to build the spread for next year about 1/4 of the way there with 300 decoys and a good caller. Going to try the next couple of days to get my first snow in NY. Good luck to all you snow chasers !post-144249-0-01567900-1427896910_thumb.jpg

TESSIER,

Hopefully we'll see more and more of these birds over the years in this area.

Went to Syracuse on Friday to the NCAA Regionals--GO SPARTANS!-- and saw LOTS of geese congregating along the throughway--Canadas and Snows, especially in the areas west of exit 42.

Montezuma was pathetically void of birds--maybe because of the icing but I have a sense that the incredible proliferation of cattail growth and subsequent loss of surface water might push the migratory flocks to the west which would benefit us in this section of the flyway.

Don't forget to post an update on your hunt.

Chas

My sons and I hunted 4 years with only a handle of birds to show.it was fun no doubt  watching the birds look us over along with the other many ducksand geese.never saw so many pintails early like when we spring snow  hunted.Got to have lots of geeks and a good caller.I did find that jumpers would often drive the birds out of the area.Also many farmers drive them off to protect their wheat fields.

If I go again ill go on a good paid hunt and forget the overhead.

Now i drive around and videotape them with my nice cam corder,80x zoom.

Ive keep my pond open all winter and now enjoy a wonderful show.

The pond has many ducks using it now as a resting area.

post-144987-0-48754400-1427982552_thumb.jpg

Edited by john1947

We hunt them a lot down here in DE. While I used to be against the jump shooting, after hunting them for years with thousands of decoys, calls etc and very little success I only jump shoot them now. 

Here are a couple of pics of recent years successes. Havent done much hunting this Spring with the new baby here, but did jump shoot 8 one day.

We hunt them a lot down here in DE. While I used to be against the jump shooting, after hunting them for years with thousands of decoys, calls etc and very little success I only jump shoot them now. 

Here are a couple of pics of recent years successes. Havent done much hunting this Spring with the new baby here, but did jump shoot 8 one day.

* Sorry for the double post

post-154668-0-78498300-1428008144_thumb.jpg

post-154668-0-28975900-1428008151_thumb.jpg

post-154668-0-16448600-1428008157_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dtmasportsman

Dtmasportsman,

Nice pics.

How does the season run in DE?

With the NY season going through 4/15/15, the daily limit at 25 and an unlimited possession limit, what's not to like?

Congrats on the baby!

Chas