Spring Kings East End

Fairly new to LO fishing, mostly fished the trench in August and early September. I would appreciate any help in trying for Kings in the spring. I trailer my boat so going to others areas will work. Any help will be appreciated as LOU has been a wealth of info for me.

West end on the Bar was tough for Kings for us last spring, like the others said, off the Genny seemed to be the place to be.  That ice water will be flowing out of the Niagara again this spring...

I would target browns and consider a king a surprise bonus catch. I caught a few kings last spring on spoons fished off short coppers and lead cores in 20-60 fow. I've heard slide divers work well too.

exactly

run normal spring pattern and consider them a bonus fish... there is no way to "target" them they are just mixed in and in less numbers than out west

exactly

run normal spring pattern and consider them a bonus fish... there is no way to "target" them they are just mixed in and in less numbers than out west

In Rochester they are outside of the browns and you do target them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the responses, it looks like most of the Spring King fishing is at Rochester and West.  Question, I have a 17 ft Lund with a 90HP how far out would I be going in the Rochester / Olcott area and would the size of my boat be an issue in this part of the lake.  Usually fishing in the Trench if the lake gets bad I don't have far to go to get out of the rough stuff.  Also I would welcome recommendations of good charters in the area as I probably would book a trip before going on my own.

Thanks!

You'll be fishing within a mile from shore most of the time. And I'll be the first to throw a shameless plug for my charter. Pm me for details and if you want the west end I'll give you a recommendation.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

West end was tough last year due to the cold water from the Niagra, we stay there all of May and couldn't get anything but lakers. We tried from 8' for Browns all the way almost to channel across the bar and back. The Kings that were caught were a surprise for most people cause of how cold the water stayed. This spring will be off Irondequoit and for the most part as far west as Sandy and Far East as Sodus that's it for me.

Again every year the Lake Trout and Salmon winner comes from Niagara county!  Also it is scientifically proven that the west end is the calmest part of the lake specifically Wilson and Olcott.  No need to run far out at all on the west end.

Thanks for the responses, it looks like most of the Spring King fishing is at Rochester and West.  Question, I have a 17 ft Lund with a 90HP how far out would I be going in the Rochester / Olcott area and would the size of my boat be an issue in this part of the lake.  Usually fishing in the Trench if the lake gets bad I don't have far to go to get out of the rough stuff.  Also I would welcome recommendations of good charters in the area as I probably would book a trip before going on my own.

Thanks!

Salmon Division

9th   21.05 Daniel DeGeorge   5/3   Rochester, NY    Mitchels Bait & Tackle,     Rochester     Cabelas/Alpena Diamond     Double D

Summer Laker

9th  21.05   Daniel DeGeorge   7/6 Rochester, NY     Mitchels Bait & Tackle,      Rochester     Copper/BW                          Double D

Also won 1st place video contest

Summer Salmon Division

18th   25.04  Robert Murray      7/17 * Rochester, NY  Mitchels Bait & Tackle,       Rochester    Wire/A-TOM-MIK               Double D

Summer Fish of the Day

7/10 Larry Keppen 24 lbs 7 oz 7/24                                                                                                                                       Double D

Robert Murray     25 lbs 4 oz  

Double D

Fall Fish of the day 

Larry Keppen   12.12   Rainbow/steelhead                                                                                                                             Double D

Last day King 29lbs. a couple ounces shy of making the fall board

post-153473-0-39418300-1427923502_thumb.jpg 

Edited by dvdegeorge

Again every year the Lake Trout and Salmon winner comes from Niagara county!  Also it is scientifically proven that the west end is the calmest part of the lake specifically Wilson and Olcott.  No need to run far out at all on the west end.

Not every year.  The winning salmon has come from Rochester and Oswego in the past in the spring.  Rochester also has a back up plan for rough days.  Irondequoit bay holds a decent number of browns that make any weather a go. 

Salmon Division

9th   21.05 Daniel DeGeorge   5/3   Rochester, NY    Mitchels Bait & Tackle,     Rochester     Cabelas/Alpena Diamond     Double D

Summer Laker

9th  21.05   Daniel DeGeorge   7/6 Rochester, NY     Mitchels Bait & Tackle,      Rochester     Copper/BW                          Double D

Also won 1st place video contest

Summer Salmon Division

18th   25.04  Robert Murray      7/17 * Rochester, NY  Mitchels Bait & Tackle,       Rochester    Wire/A-TOM-MIK               Double D

Summer Fish of the Day

7/10 Larry Keppen 24 lbs 7 oz 7/24                                                                                                                                       Double D

Robert Murray     25 lbs 4 oz  

Double D

Fall Fish of the day 

Larry Keppen   12.12   Rainbow/steelhead                                                                                                                             Double D

Last day King 29lbs. a couple ounces shy of making the fall board

attachicon.gifKing 29lbs.jpg

Holy crap Dan. That's not a season, that's a career for me. My suggestion would be to try to get more hours on the lake and improve those results. Either that or get someone who can drive straight. :rofl: