Anyone using powerpro

It's nice I've got it on one ove my riggers, I believe it's 250lb, I find its got more blow back than the wire but it's hard to tell. When the fleas get thick its a pain tho cause they can latch onto the strands in the braid cause it's so thick. A plus is no annoying humming sound.

Edited by Nontypical

Thanks for the input. I am getting ready to mount my riggers on my boat and noticed I have a kink in the cable. Not sure where it is in the cable. If I have to replace it I may try it. I was wondering how much cable was on the rigger so I pulled it out in the house. NOT A GOOD IDEA AS IT GOT TWISTED LIKE A SPRING! Lesson learned the hard way!

Put the PP on top of the cable, use a heavy swivel to connect the two. 200ft is plenty. when the fleas get bad you can take it off, or if you simply dont like it, its an easy transition back to cable.  I like the PP, but the fleas become a pain and a mess.

I am just wondering if anybody is using the power pro downrigger braid? Is it as strong as the cable, and any pros and cons?

Yes, we use braid, but we are currently using the 150lb American Fishing Wire downrigger braid. It's the same diameter. The only 2 cons are fleas. If you fish the East end you will probably hate it. The other is if you have plastic spools the braid has been known to crack them.

It's nice I've got it on one ove my riggers, I believe it's 250lb, I find its got more blow back than the wire but it's hard to tell. When the fleas get thick its a pain tho cause they can latch onto the strands in the braid cause it's so thick. A plus is no annoying humming sound.

Going from 150lb cable to 250lb Power Pro you will gain nothing except losing some cable humm. If you stayed with 150lb braid you'd see a difference. We run 20lb sharks on it, and there is absolutely no problems doing so.

Ok why would u want to use anything but cable? And I missing something?

It's all in how you want to fish. If you're a shallow fisherman it'd be a total waste. If you fish deep, a lot, you will gain some efficiency. When I say deep I mean 150'+.

Don't shy away from PP just because you will fish shallow. I switched to it years ago after a particular captain stated he increased his shallow water brown bite dramatically just by switching over. With your setup you can run 10# balls on 100#PP and be whisper quiet in shallow water.

I keep a spool with #250 power pro on the boat and change up my centre BJ Brute with it when fishing deep with a #20lb Shark it makes fishing that weight much easier and less prone to snapping off . Other then that I see no real advantage like Yankee stated no advantage fishing shallow with the #250 anyways can't speak about the lighter braid ? As to strength it is tough  but don't knick it the stuff is not forgiving.

Edited by bigblue

150 lb Power Pro here. Yes the fleas can be a pain, but we just squirt them off with the washdown hose as the cable is pulled up. The one thing we did notice is that on the third year of running the power pro, we did lose a 15 lb shark. So now, we just reverse the cable after the second completed year and have had no problems since, even with 20 lb weights.After the second year you will notice a change in the color of the cable as it lightens up presumably from sun and uv exposure and starts to weaken. And yes, the brown trout bite seems to be better with the Pro as On the Lam mentioned.