tranducer move ?

lineman49

I am putting trim tabs on my boat & will have to relocate my transducer. It will have to go right in front of my kicker motor, maybe only about 4-6" to the right side of the kicker. Question is will it work there or will there be interference? Any ideas?

I would think that particular spot may be close to the worst possible one for turbulence. You might want to carefully check out the areas just to the inside or outside of the trim tabs if not directly at the back of a strake or consider an inside hull mounted transducer.

Edited by Sk8man

I was thinking the same thing, couldn't be a worse place to mount it. It just erks me that the standard Lowrance cable is just 20' & I will need to buy a 10' extension cable for $60 bucks & use just 1' of it to move it a foot to the other side! The trim tab wires are 25' and reach all over the boat & I have wire left over. Just another reason I will not buy another Lowrance product in the future. Might be time to buy an Airmar x-ducer,( comes with a 30' cable) more $$$ for the hole in the water! lol , will it ever stop ??

I don't think you can go wrong with a correctly selected Airmar transducer ify our wallet will permit it. I had one on my previous unit and it worked great and lasted for years

I'm not an electronics whiz but I think the thru hull and in-hull transducers may be designed a bit differently and may project a stronger signal. It is probably best to use a transducer specifically designed for the intended use. 

I have seen on other sites & u tube where it can be done but some say that you may loose about 20%. I may have room to mount it in about 2" of the outside edge very close to the trim tab but there could be interference from that.

Tile man, you would think they could make the cable 5' longer. They would be better off because guys don't want to spend the extra $60. jmo.

Edited by lineman49

Does anyone have their lowrance fish finder transom mount x-ducer mounted in side the hull in silicone & does it work well ?? I might try that before investing in something else. Thanks in advance.

I have had good success with the Airmar P79 inside the hull with my Lowrance (search for recent thread on this).  However, it is a transducer suspended in an oil, or in my case antifreeze, the transducer is not adhered directly to the hull.

I have and limited success epoxying hummingbird transducers inside the hull.  (BTW do not use silicon, it will absorb the sonar signals).  One worked marginally, the other is not satisfactory, loses bottom at about 500ft.  The difference is probably location.  The one that did not work well was mounted near the keel due to deadrise; the marginal performing one was mounted in a better location, but I was still not satisfied with its performance.

All were in a fiberglass boat will no foam/wood core.

Does anyone know if the Airmar P79 Bl in hull x-ducer will show fish & not just depth when tied to a Lowrance HDS 7 Gps/fishfinder ?? According to sales ads it only mentions depth & says nothing about seeing fish ?

Also does anyone know , can a transom mount x-ducer be mounted within 2"-3" of a trim tab & still work without interference ?? Thanks ( I am not an electronics wizard as you can tell! lol)

Edited by lineman49

Yes I currently use the Airmar P79 with my HDS8 and it shows bottom, baitfish, downrigger weights, lures, debris, etc..  It is just a standard 50kHz/200kHz transducer with a unique mounting method.  Refer to the following links:

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/49859-in-hull-airmar-p79-question/

http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/products/marine-product.asp?prodid=52&manf=All

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads/brochures/P79.pdf

I believe they say depth only because it does not include temperature.

Edited by kayaker919

If you do install the P79, I would be interested to know if you notice any difference in performance from your current transom mount install.

Ended up ordering the P66 after talking to a few guys & the Manufacturer. They said for better fish finding go with the transom mount. They claim the kicker & trim tabs won't interfere, sure hope they're right!

Why not mount it on the tab? just have it set so when the trim tab is all the way up or down the transducer sits flat.  Personally I would do it with the tab all the way down so if I wanted to get a picture while planing I could.

Or you could mount the tabs in a little and leave the transducer closer to the side of the boat.

Edited by Chas0218

Why not mount it on the tab? just have it set so when the trim tab is all the way up or down the transducer sits flat.  Personally I would do it with the tab all the way down so if I wanted to get a picture while planing I could.

Or you could mount the tabs in a little and leave the transducer closer to the side of the boat.

Can the x-ducer be mounted to the tab, has anyone done this? I do have 4" between the tab & the outside starboard edge of the boat but I am thinking there will be turbulence of water coming around the corner of the boat & cause interference on the x-ducer. How about mounting it on the port side where I have more room?(manufacturer prefers starboard side) The manufacturer & friends talked me out of the P79 due to lost of power thru the hull for a fishfinder x-ducer, I was all set to buy it. Edited by lineman49

• 4 weeks later...