Olcott Pen Project - Pens are Going In!

We are putting the pens together and getting them in the water on Saturday, April, 11.

We're meeting at the Town of Newfane Marina at 9:00 AM and will be getting the netting attached to the metal frames and the pens into their spots in the marina, so we will be ready to receive the 67,200 baby Kings and 3,500 Steelhead when the DEC delivers them.

Anyone want to help, come on down, many hands makes short work of it.  Bring side cutters to cut the wire ties we use to attach the netting to the pen frames.

Thank you,

Tim Bromund

LOTSA Corresponding Secretary.

Edited by Tim Bromund

I don't think there is a min water temp, just the max water temp of 65 when they HAVE to be released.  The Hatchery won't send them until they deem them ready.  In years past, the steelhead and kings did NOT show up at the same time, they came when the hatchery said it was time to send em.

Edited by Tim Bromund

On that note, once the babies are delivered, they need to be fed 5 times every day until they are released.  7:00 am, 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm.  I will have a calendar showing the available feeding times and a form to sign up for a feeding time on the LOTSA Website once we have an idea when the fish will come.

Feeding the fish is simple and a GREAT thing to bring the kids to do.  Whether it is our project in Olcott, or any of the others across the lake, every project is looking for feeders, so volunteer to take a feeding or two if you can, it's a lot of fun and it really does help our fishery.  According to the DEC at the recent State of the Lake Meetings, the data is showing that the pen reared fish are seeing a 2:1 rate of return over direct stocked fish, so these pen rearing projects really do make a difference in the quality of our fishery.

Tim

Do you separate them or how do you go about it being two different arrival times, I wish it weren't so far I'd like very much to be a part of this but it's 250 miles to our camp " Black River" and you guys are way more west yet. It took like 6hrs to get to Niagara Falls. Good luck guys it only means spring like weather is on its way!!!!

We have 4 pens, the 67,200 kings get spread out between 3 of them and the steelhead go in the 4th.  They each get fed different food, so they would have to be separated regardless, but the steelie smolts are so much bigger than the baby kings that they would see the king smolts as potential food as well.

We have 4 pens, the 67,200 kings get spread out between 3 of them and the steelhead go in the 4th.  They each get fed different food, so they would have to be separated regardless, but the steelie smolts are so much bigger than the baby kings that they would see the king smolts as potential food as well.

Gotcha, I know my girls would go nuts seeing that many fish, they go crazy when we stock the pond and they go along when me and a few others float stock our gun club stream, from our own hatchery and they are on the feeding schedule. They think they are the big cheese!! Best of luck Tim!!

BTW, there are pen rearing projects all along the lake shore, Ours is way out of your way, but some of the ones on the East End might be more reasonable especially if you're going to be up on the Lake fishing during that time frame anyway.  We try to hold the fish at least 3 weeks in the pens, water temps permitting.

Thanks Pap.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

Tim,

My ten year old grandson and I have been volunteering to feed the fish at the Sodus pens for the last three years, and enjoy every minute of it!  As soon as Jake gets home from school, he's eager to get to the pens for the scheduled feeding, taking waters temps and looking for any fish that may have died.

It's a lot of fun, and also very rewarding knowing that what you are doing contributes to the future of this great trout and salmon fishery we have in Lake Ontario and it's tributaries. 

It is a little time consuming because you have to commit to feeding seven days a week for two to four weeks.  But the satisfaction I get to see Jakes enthusiasm, and knowing what we are contribution to makes it all worth it.

I would highly recommend it to all the dads, moms and kids out there.  It only takes fifteen to twenty minutes and its a great way to shake off the winter blahs!

Jim

Edited by 1fish2fish

Yes, the fish  get weighed when they go in and weekly while they are in the pens and then at release.  If water temps allow us to keep them in the pens the full 3 weeks the weight gains are significant.

Here is a link to the data from last year's project

http://www.lotsa.org/2014_olcott_pen_rearing_project_data.html

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Our fish will be delivered to the Town of Newfane Marina on Friday, April 24 at 1:00 pm.

Our 67,000 Chinook Salmon and 3,500 Steelhead will be transferred to the pens.  The hatchery truck will also be releasing the balance of Olcott's Direct Stocked Steelhead that same day.

Anyone that can come out Friday and help out, it will be greatly appreciated.

Also, that means that the feedings start at 4:00 pm on the 24th and will continue along the regular schedule from that point on till they are released: 7:00 am, 10:00 am, 1:00 pm, 4:00 pm and 7:00 pm every day.

Attached is the fish delivery notice from the DEC:

http://www.lotsa.org/2015-%2018%20Mile%20Chin%20+%20Sthd%20pens%20etc%20%20otus%20Approach_CARD.pdf

Thanks,

Tim

is there a schedule where we can sign up to volunteer to feed them?

I will have a feeding calendar and signup form up on the LOTSA Website in the next day or so.  I will post when it is live

Thanks,

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday, I was away from my computer all evening. Almost no one signs up online any more, unfortunately. Bet bet is to just show up a couple minutes ahead of the feeding time you'd like to fill. The marina office has the food, clipboards and life jackets for the kids (required). They can walk you through what the feeding procedures are. It's pretty simple and yes, your 2yo will love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Tim Bromund