Trophy 2052WA Rigging Set-Up - Sonar/GPS and Rod Holders

gl1

The long winter has resulted in some UPS deliveries with new toys for the boat.  I am looking for suggestions and experience with locations and other set-up.  I think I have my plan down, but any input is appreciated. 

For the last two years, we have run two riggers and two divers.  Typically just me and dad, and it is the right amount of lines to take care of.  We do throw in lead core down the chute from time to time.  We have two Tite-Loks that we run the divers in.  No issues so far - I make sure they are tightened often, but I was ready to not lean over the gunwales to pulll and set rods.  The Trophy has a lowish gunwale height, so I picked up two 18" Cannon tracks on Pedestals, and two Cannon ratcheting holders (single axis).  I will retrofit the tite-loks to fit the tracks as well (probably not for diver service, just storage or shallow water program).  Does anyone have any experience with how far toward the stearn they put their holders on a similar boat?  Having the flexibility with the tracks will be nice to get it tuned.  The dog-house on these boats takes up a lot of deck space.   I also need to be mindful of boarding the boat, and keeping the stearn cleats accessible. 

When we picked up the boat, it had circa 2000 sonar and GPS independent units.  GPS update is SLOW and sonar never show fish, bait, or the rigger balls.  So, we bought a Lowrance HDS5 Gen2 as well.  I run an HDS8 on my bassboat, so I am familiar with the technology.  I am just looking for optimum transducer placement.  My experience is with bassboat hulls, and the Trophy is different.  It does have trim tabs too.  It just seems like there will be a lot of disturbance back there.  Can anyone show a picture of where they located their transducer?  How does it work?

As far as the mechanical installation, I will use backer plates, epoxy any drilled holes, and 3M marine grade sealant anywhere else.  Am I missing anything?

Thanks for all the help.

Bill

You are absolutely right to think through location of the tracks/rod holders. I am pretty happy with how I laid mine out -- Berts swiveling elevated downrigger bases in the back corners for the riggers, 24" track sections along the gunwale for 2-3 adjustable rod holders that I typically use for divers and a net holder, and then two rail-mount rod holders on each side to run my boards -- see picture below.

post-149002-0-17036100-1427901441_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the picture and thoughts EarlyRiser.  It looks like the track starts about at the R in Trophy and progresses back.  Do you find the net gets in the way that far back?  I have been keeping the net in a rail mount holder.  Both riggers are mounted on the corners already, and I don't plan on moving those.  They have been working out for OK for us. 

Edited by gl1

If I am running 8-10 rods, I will often bump the net up to the walkaround area or the rail rod holder. If fewer, I will spread the rod holders out in the tracks and just put it in the one furthest forward.

Here's my rod holders and riggers on my 2152 on the port side. The SB side is identical:

post-141087-0-70344500-1427926609_thumb.jpg

I have an HDS 8 and a subtroll mounted on my helm. I have the HDS on the standard mount from Lowrance (I did not mount it flush on the grey panel above the dashboard). The subtroll is mounted on the dash itself, just left of my wheel.

My transducer is mounted at the water line, about a foot from the outdrive.

Best boat I've ever owned. Yes, there are better boats, but it does the job for sure.

Good luck - PM me if you have any other questions,

Chris

When i bought my boat it was fitted with 6" tracks in the rear for riggers and 2 -12" and 2-18" tracks on each side. I removed the 2 side tracks and replaced it with a single 48" track on each side. I run 3 Dual Axis cannons on each side along with rod trees. IMO you cant go wrong with tracks and adjustable rod holders. The more options the better,

post-144505-0-18879400-1427929261_thumb.jpg

Edited by bout time

Thank you to all for the comments and pics.  Momay - Thank you for the information regarding the ducer location, and cool pic with the cement boat behind you!

I agree about the boat, it really does a good job.  I wish the cockpit was a bit wider and the fish boxes are one step below useless, but otherwise no real complaints.

We will probably mount the tracks this weekend, and maybe the new GPS unit too.

Thank you to all for the comments and pics.  Momay - Thank you for the information regarding the ducer location, and cool pic with the cement boat behind you!

I agree about the boat, it really does a good job.  I wish the cockpit was a bit wider and the fish boxes are one step below useless, but otherwise no real complaints.

We will probably mount the tracks this weekend, and maybe the new GPS unit too.

Good luck! Post some pics!! I agree that the cockpit is tight, but I love the walk around feature for net storage and convenience with docking, cleaning, etc. Most of the time, we're hanging around the back of the boat anyway.....lol.

Stay in touch,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto on the gunwales, but cabin is not an issue for me. Also, I have outboard so no doghouse. Motor well is large but not really in the way much.

I would also like some pics, as I am trying to add more functionality to my 2 rigger setup. Another issue: I am trying to get a hardtop on my 2006 Trophy WA2002. Anybody know a marina in upstate ny that does that sort of thing?

I have started a thread for trophy owners, so hope to continue trading info.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United