Any kayak fisherman out there?

And you want to learn everything about kayak fishing and rigging go to New England Kayak Fishing. Become a member by creating an account and you will have access to unlimited info. Good bunch of guys. Flyboy and myself are NEKFers.

Basics I would say you need besides a good pfd is a whistle, glow sticks if you fish at night and a waterproof vhs marine radio, beside the light and flag. If you do use an anchor, which I wouldn't recommend, have a knife handy which would attach on your pfd. (as well as your radio.) It would allows you to cut you anchor if it gets caught, and believe me it does happen but also allows cut your braided line in the event it gets snagged. Good luck and welcome to the dark side of fishing,

Edited by flyak

Thanks for the tips. nice albies, I fish RI every fall for stripers and have yet to hook an albie. heading down to LI this weekend and may have a chance to drop into a salt pond or the sound to try my luck for some bass. Chris

Thanks for the tips. nice albies, I fish RI every fall for stripers and have yet to hook an albie. heading down to LI this weekend and may have a chance to drop into a salt pond or the sound to try my luck for some bass. Chris

Fish RI, then you know what a zoo it can be in a Yak in Rhody. Do you fish Point Judith and the East, Center of West walls? Last year my buddy got hit while in his hobie at the outside of the center wall by a 30 ft center console. Caught the front of his yak, took the yak and himself under the boat, Saw the twin props blow by his head 4' above him. Fortunately, he spent 25 years fishing the North Atlantic and kept his cool. If he tried to get to the surface immediately, he would have been dead. He lost all his gear as well as the boat but was physically fine, mentally shaken up. Next day he got in a borrowed yak, some gear and caught an albie. Just be aware of your situation at all times. Never assume you can be seen by the boats. The experienced Captains are not the ones you have to worry about. It is the weekend warrior who run and gun. And a cell phone in a bag is pretty useless in such a situation. Get yourself a good waterproof VHS marine radio. The most important item to have on you besides your pfd. And have fun.

Edited by flyak

Hey Flyak, I hope to get my yak down to RI one of these years.  Usually we rent a cottage on the channel coming out of Potter's Pond in south kingston and have a blast with my fly rod and light spinning gear.  Unfortunately, the realtor put all of the real estate in Succatash Park up for sale last fall so It may be harder for me to find a rental next time.  I also fish the Charlestown breachway, point Judith and the walls.  This year we are going to the Cape in September but was advised not to bring the yak because of the increased Great White population due to the fairly recent protection of seals in the area.  After hearing that, and having a 7' blacktip swim up to me in the Outer Banks last summer, I will be happy to use the surf gear from the beach behind the house thank you very much  :).  That is a crazy story about your friend, he is definitely lucky and thank God he made it out alive.

Won't have issue with whites at RI. Chowing down on the seals at the Chatham area. We also fish the Cape Beaches from Hyannis West down to Woods Hole. No problems with whites there either so don't buy the don't bring your kayak BS. I am currently on Costa Rica. Yak fished Monday. Some areas you have to worry about crocs but they shy away when a kayak comes.

I just mounted mine over the weekend and it worked out really well and It is easy to remove too which is nice.  The stern of my yak is squared off though but I guess the basic concept could be used on a standard kayak shape as well.  Home Depot carries  48" strips of 1/8" x 2" aluminum that is easy to bend.  I mounted the transducer to one end, then bent the top end to hang off of the rear handle and secured it on with a zip tie.  

How did ya'll mount your transducer on your kayaks? I want to start fishing from mine and want to try and mount my spare fish finder on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

My kayak is a sit on top type.  I mounted the transducer inside the kayak using goop.  works well.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's how I attached mine. Had to add the track and ball to the stern. I remove it and place behind the seat before transporting the yak down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-151005-14333532972635_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

nice football!  I tried once for browns this spring at fair haven while there was still ice on most of the bays and had no luck but have been doing great since walleye season opened.  Can't wait for september to try for salmon but will keep having fun with walleyes, smallmouths and muskies until that time comes!  I would love to upgrade to a Hobie in the coming years to free my hands up, been finding it hard to manage 2 lines if there is any wind while catching decent fish.

Hobie's are nice but they have one draw back I don't like, you can't back up. That's why I went with a Native ultimate propel kayak. I do a lot of bass fishing around docks and this gives the ability to stop quick and back up. Of course with the propeller it's useless in the weeds. In the weeds the propeller comes up and the paddle post-140536-0-62588200-1435339913_thumb.jpgcomes out.

Edited by paprman

You can back up but only with a paddle, unless you put the mirage drive in backwards lol.  I use the hobie when I am going to be trolling and use the malibu mini x when fishing in the shallows.

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest kayak walleye of the year!  A 27" trolling 26' down off of Stoney Point July 4th. Thought it might be a laker as I saw it coming up.   Caught a sheepshead that took me for another ride the next day through the same run that probably went close to 10lbs.

post-156407-0-52446400-1436364481_thumb.jpg

post-156407-0-85942800-1436364492_thumb.jpg