Walleye Stocking in Otisco Lake

CaptainEyes

I am sure those that participated in the angler diary have had time to read and digest the 2014 summary (sent out by Ian) and most notabbly the rumors of the DEC going to a every other year stocking program were confirmed.  As a tax payer and angler on Otisco Lake I am very unhappy to learn that the fish marked to be stocked in Otisco will be swimming in other waters.  It is especially frustrating since lakes such as Delta and Oneida that recieve millions of walley fingerlings every year are unafected.

I have already sent an email to the DEC expressing my concern and frustration with their decision and I ask that if you are concerned that you too let them know.

Please note:  I did not post this to start a debate on whether or not the every other year stocking program will have a negative effect on the fishing because none of us know's.  The only fact's we have is that natural reproduciton is minimal to none and instead of recieving 35-45,000 every year it will now be every other year.

Ive more than expressed my feeling to the DEC on this last year...its total BS...I will send another email out though. That being said I feel there are some good guys in region 7 that are on our side. It is my impression that they are trying to get walleye for us on the odd years. We nearly got fish last year so I was told...whatever that means. If this happens and we only lose 1-2 stocking years in a 10 year period I doubt it will hurt us. I do support stocking other waters, but in addition to the successful current programs, not at the expense of those waters.

Hell with the funding that they always complain about I am shocked they don't cut it back more. Seems like the only thing happening is cuts. I have never fished out there as I live right near Oneida. I think everyone wants their local lake to be stocked. We just know that it's not possible. Not sure how they determine what lakes to cut back on or what ones to stock more. Not sure surveys are that solid. 

Len

I am sure those that participated in the angler diary have had time to read and digest the 2014 summary (sent out by Ian) and most notabbly the rumors of the DEC going to a every other year stocking program were confirmed. As a tax payer and angler on Otisco Lake I am very unhappy to learn that the fish marked to be stocked in Otisco will be swimming in other waters. It is especially frustrating since lakes such as Delta and Oneida that recieve millions of walley fingerlings every year are unafected.

I have already sent an email to the DEC expressing my concern and frustration with their decision and I ask that if you are concerned that you too let them know.

Please note: I did not post this to start a debate on whether or not the every other year stocking program will have a negative effect on the fishing because none of us know's. The only fact's we have is that natural reproduciton is minimal to none andx,jjnjnn instead of recieving 35-45,000 every year it will now be every other year.

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would think that the DEC has to keep Oneida stocks up just due to its popularity of a well established walleye lake, and Otisco just doesn't have the walleye popularity yet. But with the more guys turning in the fishing diaries maybe this will shed some light on Otisco and they will grant the lake a yearly stocking!!

I would think that the DEC has to keep Oneida stocks up just due to its popularity of a well established walleye lake, and Otisco just doesn't have the walleye popularity yet. But with the more guys turning in the fishing diaries maybe this will shed some light on Otisco and they will grant the lake a yearly stocking!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Otisco will never get fish like Oneida. The biggest reason is there is no natural reproduction. Otisco has definitely gained interest and catch rates are near record highs, but lets face the fact that during the summer very few anglers target walleye. As opposed to Oneida where there are tons of guys everyday that the season is open winter included. Any fish the DEC stocks are put there for the masses, and simply put the majority of walleye anglers in central NY DONT fish Otisco. I hope that more anglers will enjoy Otisco's super fat walleye and therefore we will have a bigger voice in getting fish. If walleye were as popular as Tigers are in Otisco we would get fish every year and more of them.

Otisco will never get fish like Oneida. The biggest reason is there is no natural reproduction. Otisco has definitely gained interest and catch rates are near record highs, but lets face the fact that during the summer very few anglers target walleye. As opposed to Oneida where there are tons of guys everyday that the season is open winter included. Any fish the DEC stocks are put there for the masses, and simply put the majority of walleye anglers in central NY DONT fish Otisco. I hope that more anglers will enjoy Otisco's super fat walleye and therefore we will have a bigger voice in getting fish. If walleye were as popular as Tigers are in Otisco we would get fish every year and more of them.

Well stated JT. I just talked today about the Otisco eyes to my uncle, I said they even look different because they are so fat!! They look like a toad as Mark Romanack would say. I hope the best for Otisco and the guys that fish it. I think things will get better as the lake gains popularity, and if anyone can make that stand I know JT. will do whatever it takes, I can promise you that much!!!

I don't fish for walleye or know much about them. I get a few each year by accident and release them. My brother is a walleye guy. He fishes Oneida. He's tried Otisco but says they're too hard too catch there because there is so much bait in the lake. I really don't know. But i wonder...if otisco got stocked every year and the walleye fishing got to a fantastic level wouldn't the word get out and the lake get crowded? Is that really what we want there? Justin says catch rates for walleye are up there. Maybe things are ok as is? God bless those that target bass,walleye,and twout! More esox for me.😜

Except for a few year period in the mid 2000's Otisco has traditionally received an annual stocking. As far as angler popularity, between word of mouth and LOU Otisco has more than earned its fare share of eager anglers.

AGAIN, the reason for my post was to bring awareness to the Otisco fraternity that we will no longer receive annual stockings and if this makes you as mad as I am please let the DEC know!

If you would like to discuss the differences between Otisco and other walleye fisheries, whether the every other year stocking will have a positive or negative effect please start your own thread.

CE;

I have fished the lake several times a number of years ago, & was not happy with the access there that I knew about, I think it was a gas station on the South East side, very steep ramp, & almost no parking.  The State needs to put a public launch in, & if they did, the lake probably would get more walleye stocking, & attention.

John

Edited by Iceman

I think public access makes a big difference.  Eatonbrook reservoir has it, they got 760,000 0.5 inch walleyes stocked in 2013.  Not sure what they got in 2014 and will get in 2015.  Not many guys seem to target walleyes there and it is pretty much a ghost town. I have tried a couple times with no luck and the residents look at me like I have three heads when they see my trolling spread.  

0.5 inch walleyes would probably just be food in Otisco.  

CE;

I have fished the lake several times a number of years ago, & was not happy with the access there that I knew about, I think it was a gas station on the South East side, very steep ramp, & almost no parking. The State needs to put a public launch in, & if they did, the lake probably would get more walleye sticking, & attention.

John

the launch at otisco valley campground is good,as is the parking. $9.00. Good coffee there as well. That other place you mentioned is tough.

Brent Im 100% in agreement and will continue to bring up the stocking issues everytime I email or speak to the DEC.  I do believe a state launch would help the cause, but a state launch isnt a popular idea to anyone using the lake already.  Otisco will never get known for walleye like Oneida because they are way to hard to target for 90% of anglers unless you fish at night.  Oneida walleye fishing is like bass fishing in small farm pond in difficulty compared to Otisco  I get a bunch of guys that want info every year and after a try or two most give up.  The few guys that target them during the day are all good trollers and all of them get humbled plenty often.   

• 1 month later...

Otisco has been my primary lake for 20 years now since I live only 20 minutes away and after thinking about it some of you may be surprised what I'm going to say.  As already mentioned, the lake has very limited public access, from shore fishing access to boat launches.  Fishing pressure for walleyes is not that impressive unless you like to fish the causeway, which is occupied just about every night during the spring and fall.  The winter walleye fishery is nearly non- existent and in the summertime, only the die hards are fishing for them.  The quality of the fish is so good that I am not concerned about the quantity. One otisco walleye has as much meat as 3 oneida 16"ers like the one I got last week.  With this being said, as of now I do not think an every other year stocking program will hurt but that remains to be seen.  Very few people that fish here expect to get a limit of 'eyes when they come out.  I have always called this lake the "lake of 1,000 casts" because that is sometimes how many it takes for a fish.  If you shine a flashlight at night along the shore to about 50 yds. out this time of year you will see why it takes so many casts to attract a fish to your lure.  It does surprise me that they are cutting back on walleye stocking even after they have decided to eliminate brown trout stocking in the lake as well, due to labeling it a warm water fishery.  The DEC is aware of fish populations since I see them shocking it just about every year and if they feel the numbers are healthy then so be it.  If the reason is simply politics, then that is BS and I will surely jump on the bandwagon and send my share of letters.  Oneida gets constant fishing pressure but also has ample resources for natural reproduction so I do not support additional stocking at Otisco's expense.  If they want to do something to help that fishery, get more officers patrolling the water and checking legal fish limits.  The harvesting that takes place out there by certain individuals would make any sportsman cringe.  I am not trying to start an argument, but offering a different perspective from what I have been hearing on the topic.  

Is there any chance that they will stock more fish each time since they are doing it every other year?

I have always thought that it would be better to stock these lakes every other year but stock twice as many fish. So they would receive the same amount of fish on average. The survival rate would probably be better and it would cut down on some travel costs.

Otisco has been my primary lake for 20 years now since I live only 20 minutes away and after thinking about it some of you may be surprised what I'm going to say.  As already mentioned, the lake has very limited public access, from shore fishing access to boat launches.  Fishing pressure for walleyes is not that impressive unless you like to fish the causeway, which is occupied just about every night during the spring and fall.  The winter walleye fishery is nearly non- existent and in the summertime, only the die hards are fishing for them.  The quality of the fish is so good that I am not concerned about the quantity. One otisco walleye has as much meat as 3 oneida 16"ers like the one I got last week.  With this being said, as of now I do not think an every other year stocking program will hurt but that remains to be seen.  Very few people that fish here expect to get a limit of 'eyes when they come out.  I have always called this lake the "lake of 1,000 casts" because that is sometimes how many it takes for a fish.  If you shine a flashlight at night along the shore to about 50 yds. out this time of year you will see why it takes so many casts to attract a fish to your lure.  It does surprise me that they are cutting back on walleye stocking even after they have decided to eliminate brown trout stocking in the lake as well, due to labeling it a warm water fishery.  The DEC is aware of fish populations since I see them shocking it just about every year and if they feel the numbers are healthy then so be it.  If the reason is simply politics, then that is BS and I will surely jump on the bandwagon and send my share of letters.  Oneida gets constant fishing pressure but also has ample resources for natural reproduction so I do not support additional stocking at Otisco's expense.  If they want to do something to help that fishery, get more officers patrolling the water and checking legal fish limits.  The harvesting that takes place out there by certain individuals would make any sportsman cringe.  I am not trying to start an argument, but offering a different perspective from what I have been hearing on the topic.  

I appreciate your input as an angler on Otisco.  My original post was simply to bring awarness to the fact that Otisco will only be stocked every other year and though we dont know what effect it may  have other than It will recieve 35,000-44,000 less every other year common sense says it has to have some effect.  If you have been fishing the lake for 20 years than you can remember in the early 2000 the DEC stopped stocking all together and the lake became a lake of 10,000 cast and took several years to get back to where it is today. As far as the brown trout stocking program - the DEC never stocked the trout as they were donated by a local sportsmans club however they were manged through the traditional laws.  Though Otisco has limited fishing access (2 launches and 4 shore) opportunitites it is only 5 miles long and is limited as to where fish are regularly caught. Perception of whether it is fished hard is one persons opinion as I feel it does get fished pretty hard especially within the last couple of years that anglers have been posting on this site. Though it may not be shoulder to shoulder the spring/fall fishing will fill up the shore and line the points with boats. In the summer you will see several  boats each morning trolling for the eyes and in the winter there is a bunch of us that fish it hard but to little success. Besides the ice fishing months if  I am out there I do expect to catch my limit of walleye and frequently do. I for one have very little faith in the DEC's fish/deer management practices and with the elimination of walleye stocking all together in lakes such as Owasco and lakes such as Otisco that are now every other year I have to wonder where are they being stocked??? 

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.  My DEC friend says they have to camp officers out on Walleye spawning tribs because of illegal fishing for spawning Walleye.  There are walleyes spawning in some of the creeks that come into Otisco but have no idea about how much recruitment is happening.  Perhaps now a little more conservation is in order?  Keeping smaller fish and releasing big females might be a good movement to start.

Stocking every other year, means more catch and release, you'll survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Due to the alewife predation on the walleye fry Otisco is considered a put, grow, and take lake very few legal fish are released but thanks for the vote of confidence!

We released ten percent of our legal walleye which was just over 20 fish, and try to keep em over 21. I will say we are seeing many age classes of fish now and 4 years ago it was just big fish a little like Owasco. Keep sending emails...I believe we are the top of the list for surplus walleye fry.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app