I think I know this fish but not 100 percent sure

I caught this this morning at Seneca Lake Park marina on a jig and spike while fishing for perch and it was about 17 or 18 inches long. It may be a golden shiner but it is by far the largest I've ever seen and its scales and body shape were more carp like but the mouth and head are more like a shiner. I threw it back unharmed anyway.

post-145411-0-79028600-1428085834_thumb.jpg

Yep, Gambler hit it!  That is a rudd.  Invasive and spreading.  They catch a lot along the Niagara River.  This one either spread via bait bucket or via the Erie/Seneca Canal system into Seneca.  Common site in Conesus Lake.  Often see them with the walleye and pike in the inlet during their spring spawning run.  They grow BIG!  

I caught 16 of them one day last year on Cayuga. I was using mealworms in 20' of water at the south end. They were all between a pound and a pound and 1/2. They put up a strong and fun fight. However, they aren't very tasty. My inquiries pointed to them being large golden shiners.

Did you catch any perch? I was thinking about dragging the kids over there with some bobbers. I like those new docks they put in by the launch.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sk8. - big Rudd

The Rudd population is growing every year. I perch fish with a camera down there and see huge schools of them .

Once they are that big I don't think anything can eat them.... Maybe the Eagles

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United