Early june browns.

Staying at rainbow trout lodge may 31 and fishing from Oswego for browns.. Im still pretty green , just started last year but have a decent 20 foot center console setup with a mast and three riggers. Question i have is how should my approach change this late ? I usually go in mid april and fish boards in ten fow. Seems i should use more spoons than sticks , and fish deeper ?

Sent from my LGLS620 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It's impossible to tell you where those fish will be as it all depends on the winds moving the water temps around.

I've taken fish from 10 fow to 100 fow at that time of year.

Just be prepared to fish.

Under normal circumstances I would say an average of 40 to 60 fow would be a good bet

and you probably won't be flat lining sticks on the surface.

But stranger things have happened.

Ok.. I was figuring i was going to have to do things differently. I have just a basic old garmin 240 blue fish finder and im skeptical ill find any hint of the thermocline with it. Ill just bring the whole arsenal and lurk around behind you captains ....with a respectable buffer of course 😎 thanx again for the pointers.. Much appreciated

Like mentioned before, leadcore will be a good tool, out on your big boards or inlines if you have them.  Dipsys and short coppers can work as well depending on what depth you find them in, any you can run into steelhead anywhere! Slide Divers too.

Don't know how long you will be up for but if your new I would suggest booking a Charter for the early part of your stay.

That would cut your learning curve and make the rest of your stay a lot more productive and enjoyable.

Gearing up to cover all the different presentations is very expensive.

Your riggers will get your lures to the required depth and take fish, period.

If you wanted to add a new presentation, by fishing with an expert you would see what to buy and take the guess work out of the equation.

All the shops in the area will stock everything you would want to add.

Best of luck.

Glen

Edited by spoonfed-1

Ive thought about that.. Only have a day and a half though.. I live right between Champlain and lake george and do good on the lakers there trolling. Im deffinetly going to try to get on a charter in july or august for the kings this summer though.

Fish Doctor Charters out of Oswego is one of the best brown trout fishermen on the lake. He has some great videos and articles on brown trout fishing on his website and blog.

Keep your boards for sure. As long as the surface temps are in the mid 60s or lower browns will be in shallow. I have caught browns in mid June in 10 FOW, normally would be fishing 15-25 FOW in late May -early June. Some of the biggest browns I have ever caught have been during that time of year. Only problem is that is just about all you will catch as far as salmonids are concerned. Most other salmon/trout have moved out. Browns are a sure bet first thing in the morn though.

And should i clip onto the line just above my lead core section or let out twenty or thirty foot of backer line before cliping into the planer release?

Edited by Nutzy

The last couple years, we have been doing browns good in 25-35 fow with boards, riggers and slide divers.  1/2 oz of lead with spoons off the boards produced a lot of browns. 

Any tips on getting 8 lb mono inside this 18 or 17 lb leadcore to complete a Willis knot.. I can get it started about a quarter inch then the swearing starts..any alternative knots maybe?

Edited by Nutzy

go with a 12# or 15# flourocarbon leader, the thicker line makes the willis knot easier.  then you can always tie a swivel to the other end and a rods legnth of your 8# if your set on using that.  but your talking june i wouldn't go that light id prolly just run 12-15#