Whitefish in Lake O

Might sound silly, but has anyone ever caught an incidental whitefish on Lake O while fishing other species?  Apparently there's still quite a few in the lake, just never hear of any caught.  Obviously different tactics target them, but you'd think the odd one would get snagged up on a deep rigger line once in a while.

I have caught two. First one was trolling in the trench on a flasher fly (I was wondering why that one stopped firing) and caught one through the ice fishing for walleyes in chaumont

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Lake Erie Canadian commercial fishermen take over a million dollars of whitefish annually there. If they are so abundant there they are also in Lake Ontario. Lake Huron is also loaded with whitefish. Yankee fishermen are missing the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

10" green dot spinnie with a Pro-Am fly  off the Salmon river fall on 2013  Also have caught lake herring about 12" long on free sliders with a small stinger spoon a few years ago

Edited by Big Dave

Lake Erie Canadian commercial fishermen take over a million dollars of whitefish annually there. If they are so abundant there they are also in Lake Ontario. Lake Huron is also loaded with whitefish. Yankee fishermen are missing the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have been on the docks in the UP Michigan to buy whitefish from fishermen bringing in their days catch.  They net these fish when they come into shallow water to spawn in October-November.  The bi-catch in the gill nets included smallmouth, kings, steelhead, etc. etc.  Canada can keep their nets!

BT:

Always pull a few out trolling stickbaits for walleye out in the main lake outside of Henderson Harbor from the lighthouse to Cherry Island, they run up to two pounds or so. Pretty good odor coming off of them, always catch & release them.

John