Berkeley nanofil

Dylan585

Has anyone ever tried using it? It looks nice. I saw someone using it once down and the ocean and they loved it... I have read mixed reviews on it, it seems that you have to use specific knots. I was thinking I'd give it a try on some of my bass rods this summer

It casts a country mile but costs $$$. Makes no sense for flipping or ice fishing IMHO but if you want distance, it's a good call. You'll need to use a nanofil knot, which is just a doubled overhand knot through the eye with the lure passed through the loop prior to tightening. And you'll have to change the last three or four feet when it gets beat up...having the line while really lets your see the abuse that part takes.

• 3 weeks later...

Never had any issues and i use a flouro leader

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't use leaders. I tie all of my lures directly to the main line with the exception Cleo's. Idk if it's worth the $20 risk. Triple me has never really done me wrong

It's horrible with knots, being so slick. You need to tie a special nanofil knot or it will slip. Tying on a fluoro leader with a double uni solves that issue and makes changing lures easy. The nanofil knot isn't hard to learn, but you have to pass a loop over the lure prior to tightening. 

Ive used all 3 major super smooth braids, nano, smack down, and super slick extensively. All are more expensive, prone to tangling, and don't wear well. I have since returned to regular power pro. No matter what braid you use a leader is a must...you will flat out catch more fish. I would have kept using the smack down from seagaur, but my guests couldn't stop tangling it. As for knots with braid, the Palomar is my goto for terminal tackle, and a double Albright or slim beauty works well to tie light braid to heavier diameter flouro leader.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yup, the dreaded nanofil knot. The stuff is simply too slim a diameter to pick apart with your fingernails. We carry some plastic toothpicks to work the knots out, but even they have been defeated by the dark side...

I really only use nanofil with super small stuff that's hard to cast otherwise and on Seneca, where I want to cast a country mile. Otherwise, like Justin said, PowerPro is superior for most applications.

So I read reviews online and answered some questions.  I am curious about abrasion resistance, UV light degredation?  I like that it casts a mile but you wouldn't want to use this with a beefy stick if it has zero stretch.  Do you put on a Med or a med Light or a light rod?  If you have a line that floats, how big of a deal is it to use with jigs?  I ask because I see some attributes that worry me and some that are very attractive.  I can see using it with a drop shot style long line rig for fingerlake panfish but stay away from it in other situations.

To answer your question about abrasion resistance, in my experience, you are much better off using a braid. Gator finally convinced me to try it and he is right about casting a country mile. Great for Seneca. I thought this would be the ticket drifting and drop shotting on Erie for bass too but the first time I tried it, I lost two or three rigs dragging across the mussels and rocks. Not good. Thankfully, my other rods had power pro and I did not lose any more fish or rigs to abrasion.

I agree with Justin, no reason to go lighter than four lb test. It's a situation-specific line. You need to change out the last six feet after every trip. Not UV damage, just abrasion. 

No Im in a boat using it. Light line never scared me, been doing it since the 70s. Never had any issues as long as you are not horsing the fish and have a light rod. I had Seneca in mind for this all the while. I know most use 4 but when I go to 4 it feels like anchor rope compared to 2. Do whatever works for you.

Ive put full seasons in with 2 and 1 pound dia and if you are fishing for perch it's gotta be the perfect line, but for bigger fish like walleye and tigers its not great.  If you pay close attention to damage to the line and are skilled using it you wont have problems, but if you arent a careful, skilled fisherman or fish in the dark Id avoid going below 4 lb dia and dont go below 8lb dia on a baitcaster or conventional round reels.  I personally like the light stuff but I wont ever have it on my rods again unless it will only be me using it.

I have been using Nanofil since it came out, and i have never had a problem at all.  I absolutely love the stuff, it is phenomenal for pulling bass through heavy weeds etc. I am shocked that anyone has a problem with knots, i do not get that at all. That tells me your tying a poor knot, http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php?Categ=fishing  that is the knot you all should be tying, and if you are doing it correctly you will not have a problem. IMO this line casts better than any fishing line i have ever used. It is super strong, so strong that if you get a brutal snag you may have to wrap it around one of the cleats on the boat to get it to pull off. You can pull in the biggest of fish with ease with this stuff.

• 1 month later...

If you use less than 4lb diameter for bigger gamefish and don't use some kind of shock leader you will definitely have trouble if you are into fish much....even with a med power walleye rod. Once in a while when I didn't have 4 rods rigged minimum my leader would get too short and I'd go without at the end of night rather than deal with tying braid to flouro...I paid the price enough times that I don't get lazy about anymore. Last night the group I had a few good tangles in the dark and with 4lb dia I could get them out the thinner stuff I would have been cutting.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Never had any issue with breaking and it casts a mile and is less prone to tangle issues than many braids. I use a palmar knot to a small swivel and then floro leader. Primarily use it casting with spinning gear and fishing jigs, sticks, Senkos, top waters and jigging spoons. Also have used it on steelhead . Also like that it floats.