For what it's worth, my 2 cents, and thats all it's worth....

I think we can all agree that there needs to be something done with the state of Catherine Creek.  I am sure there are more streams out there that could use more attention but Catherine has been a hot topic!  It was by far my most favorite place to fish as a teen/young man.  That is until '96 when the skies opened up and dumped about 5 inches of rain in less than a half an hour.(I believe someone else stated '94 but I am almost certain it was '96) The state decided to flatten everything out and empty the stream of anything that could hold back water, to save a few houses and businesses THAT WERE BUILT IN A FLOOD PLAIN!!  Slowly the state came in and tried to correct the mistakes that they caused and tried to put in some "stream improvements".  Which did not last long, almost everything they built has already rotted away or is already in desperate need of repair, AGAIN!!

Everyone blames the DEC, specifically the Conservation officers.  They are doing what they can with limited resources and I for one commend them for their efforts!  I think you should not aim your frustrations towards the CO's but rather the fisheries "experts"!!  Here is an example of what I am talking about....

post-140056-0-67646800-1428338016_thumb.jpg post-140056-0-02197000-1428338146_thumb.jpg post-140056-0-02460100-1428338159_thumb.jpg

I just dont understand?!?!  I like what they are doing here, re-enforcing the bank with rip-rap to help protect the property, but they RUINED a great stretch of the creek in doing so!!  Those of you that know this spot (I am not spot burning here as there is nothing left but shallow riffles) know that there used to be a couple nice holes and a deep run with boulders.  Just last year I hooked quite a few in this 100 yards of stream using floats and the water was at least 3-4 feet deep, which is very deep on this stream now a days!!  My question is why not do what they did in past and come through and dig out the hole, especially after running your machinery through the stream and filling it in??  They have done this in most of the stream below Sleepers and now moving into the upper half and this is where the majority of the spawning happens on the main stem of the system.

Back in the late 90's early 2000's I had contacted the DEC to volunteer my time to help out where ever needed on Catherine a few years after graduating from FLCC where I studied fisheries and graduated with an AAS in Conservation.  I was told, no thank you.  And then when I questioned why they were not digging out the creek after making improvements, I was told that they wanted the stream to go back to its natural state?!?  After running bulldozers all over it, I said?  I didnt hear anything after that...

I think if they are not going to see their mistakes in how they are handling the "re-habilitation" of the system something else has to be done.  Close the whole fishery?  Not fair to the boatless angler.  Not to mention, that would not stop the people that live along the stream from doing what they have always done.  Change the opening day?  Maybe, but most years a good majority of the spawn has already happened prior to the opener.  This year was a strange, cold year.  Close the feeder streams?  Yes DEFINATELY!!  Wadding restrictions?  Yes definately.  I am sure there are other things that can be put in place like the 1 fish limit, but this just puts more burden on the already heavily out numbered CO's.  I still think with today technology you could "deputise" concerned anglers on the streams.  Allow them to hand out tickets, kind of like self patroling.  I think there are quite a few of us that already do this by taking pictures/video of illegal activities and take pictures of license plates and call the 1-800 number.   

1 more observation I would like to share...

post-140056-0-95214400-1428340646_thumb.jpg

My first stocked Fingerlakes strain of rainbow (18", 3rd year class) caught out of Catherine Creek.  Notice the fin clips.  Can be a good thing or a bad thing, depends on how you look at it. 

Good - the fish they are stocking are healthy, strong and doing well!

Bad - It is a sign of the end of an era......

Again, my $.02.

just for yer info several 12lb plus were landed this year .first time since the 60 this class of fish were landed. also the numbers of rainbow have gotten crazy (lots of them) in the creek,and nice comeback in the lake . I have been fishing there from 1970 (creek) yea it ain't the same but the fish seem to like it..

Seems since we as a state lost our "free hard working workforce" aka camp Monterey, looks like the dec can't build or improve the creek like they used to. My .02 is... Drop some trees in the creek. Allow the parr to have a place to hide and stay cool. I don't see the little trout like I used to.. Sad it is.

I can tell you from past experience with DEC.  The only way they will do anything is if you let them believe it is their idea.  You could have Buffet's backing and they will say no because they have a high horse when it comes to eco engineering.  They have the proper background and the power but (unfortunately) they also have arrogance.  How dare Joe six pack tell me how to maintain a trout stream?

Can't deputize citizens.  One word - LIABILITY.  You could train sheriff's deputies to handle specific situations and pay overtime with fines collected.   More beauracacy which means don't hold your breath.

The creek is resembling more and more a snagger's creek meaning it is mostly riffles.  It could have some deep holes without compromising flood control.  Also a good idea to close all of the feeder streams to angling (or more accurately, snagging).

I really do not foresee any major changes.  I think when you have concerns you should write or call them (DEC).  Let them know what is bothering you.  I have several times and I can say that I almost always get a direct response within a week or two.  In some cases I am happy with the feedback and other times I stubbornly grumble about it.  But if they do not hear our input then they are completely unaware.  Even if they can't do things we suggest, they will at least have it in their memory for future reference.

Good luck

TU is involved in the stocking of catherine. I've spoke to TU myself about it. But they have nothing to do with the derby and things alike.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I can tell you from past experience with DEC. The only way they will do anything is if you let them believe it is their idea. You could have Buffet's backing and they will say no because they have a high horse when it comes to eco engineering. They have the proper background and the power but (unfortunately) they also have arrogance. How dare Joe six pack tell me how to maintain a trout stream?

Can't deputize citizens. One word - LIABILITY. You could train sheriff's deputies to handle specific situations and pay overtime with fines collected. More beauracacy which means don't hold your breath.

The creek is resembling more and more a snagger's creek meaning it is mostly riffles. It could have some deep holes without compromising flood control. Also a good idea to close all of the feeder streams to angling (or more accurately, snagging).

I really do not foresee any major changes. I think when you have concerns you should write or call them (DEC). Let them know what is bothering you. I have several times and I can say that I almost always get a direct response within a week or two. In some cases I am happy with the feedback and other times I stubbornly grumble about it. But if they do not hear our input then they are completely unaware. Even if they can't do things we suggest, they will at least have it in their memory for future reference.

Good luck

I am 100% in favor of shutting down the feeder creeks. We all know the one that gets pounded the hardest, it's a damn shame.

I already commented on this on another thread but I just have to say that this comes up every year and people have great intentions but very few take the time to get all the facts. I spoke with a biologist at a state of finger lakes meeting last year and the data shows lots of successful reproduction in Catharine creek. Meanwhile rainbow fishing has been good in the lake and tribs the last few years. I can't argue that some of the stream work over the years hasn't been great but you can't just dig a hole in any part of a creek. I've been involved in stream work over in region 9 and it's amazing to see how much an untouched area of stream can change from year to year. Snaggers make fishing difficult and unenjoyable for others so I say get as many ECOs on the creek as possible this time of year.