100' copper worth having?

I had a 100' of copper, so I put it on a 47Diawa reel. Thinking of changing to maybe a 3 color micro lead core or should I keep the 100' copper, thoughts?

I had a 100' of copper, so I put it on a 47Diawa reel. Thinking of changing to maybe a 3 color micro lead core or should I keep the 100' copper, thoughts?

It's worth having 2 of them!

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

we run one down the chute,was a good producer last year.

What depth would you run it?  I was wondering if I could use it in the spring in shallow water or will it snag or is it more for deep water going for steely's just below the surface. 

blood run has a depth chart for the different copper weights,but copper runs roughly 20 ft down per 100 ft out.so not an early spring brown tactic.but yes,we would run it anytime fishing deeper than 40 fow.caught browns and lakers in late spring and steelies and salmon through the summer.being nice and short,you can clear it quick if you need to land a fish behind the boat and also to change baits up.

end of the summer when the fish were  in less than 100 fow.you still going to fat nancys saturday???ill bring those rod holders

Edited by finsntins

usually east end in august we are fishing pretty deep chasing temp.

Actually......YES! Our two biggest kings last year came the first week of August a day apart---23' down!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

were these fish in tight out of temp? on spoons?

I assume they were out of temp as "temp" was down around 70 that week. As I pointed out in the LOTSA Salmon school, most of the big kings I catch are out of temp--either on the cold side or the warm side.

Catching two BIG matures a day apart that high in the water column wasn't as peculiar as the conditions---hot, sunny and FLAT and at 130 in the afternoon!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Pre-spawn staging salmon often school-stack vertically so fish at the top of the spawn swarm will often end up at the top of the water column.  Underwater footage of salmon in Alaska show this "chasing" pre-spawn meet-and-greet that happens before the fish move into the pier heads.  Can be truly maddening looking at a graph stacked from top to bottom with hooks and not have them biting!  I come across these spawn-balls west of Wilson with fish getting ready to run the Niagara. 

100' coppers can have Torpedo divers added to achieve just about any depth you want, without having to reel in 600' of copper! I can attest to the fact that it's a deadly combo. Take two, they're small  :nod:

What advantage does 100' coppers have over a 5 color for catching more fish?

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You can scrap it when you are done with it. :P   What I have found is some days copper produces and some days leadcore produces.  Gotta have both......

What advantage does 100' coppers have over a 5 color for catching more fish?

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Really? Its 2 completely different presentations.