need help with starter switch

oldkevin

I have a 1970 Johnson 40 hp the starter switch worked last fall when I got the boat. but when I went to try it this year in would not engage the started not even a click but when you arc across the solenoid it engages. I was thinking of having a toggle switch to turn the juice on and a push button to start it, but not sure how to wire it up any help would be good. you can post it here or send me a pm. thanks kevin

Wiggle the shifter to ensure the neutral safety switch is in fact in neutral. Also, check for proper battery connection to ignition switch. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It is probably a connection problem somewhere between the switch and the solenoid or between the battery and the switch. Wiggling connections and disconnecting and reconnecting plugs along the path will possibly reveal where the problem lies. It will help to have someone turn the key as you wiggle connections (including under the motor cover and at the battery). It could be a connector, a fuse holder or connection, a fuse, a circuit breaker, a switch or a connection anywhere in the path. It could even be the solenoid itself. If you have a voltmeter, you can check for voltage between the two small wires on the solenoid with the start switch activated. If you get voltage there, the solenoid is bad. If there is no voltage there, you can also check at other points, with the meter, along the path to isolate where power is lost along the path. Also check the path between the battery and the start switch in the same way. Just make sure the negative wire of the voltmeter is connected to a good ground. You could also have several connections where corrosion has taken place. You will have to clean the corrosion or replace the corroded parts. Taking measures to protect connections from future corrosion may also be appropriate.

After you're sure it's in neutral and it still doesn't turn over, take a test light and make sure you have power at the start position on the back of the switch, you will need to turn the key to the start position, if you have power there then turn the switch to the start position and see if you have power to the little post on the start solenoid, if no power there then the problem lies between the switch and the solenoid, broke wire ect. If you have power at the little terminal on the solenoid you need a way to measure the voltage at the terminal it needs to be a full 12 volts to pull the solenoid in to close the contacts. If you have 12.3 volts at the large terminal of the solenoid then the start terminal should have at least 12 volts no less. A lot of the times just cleaning all the terminal does the trick before you go pulling everything apart. Also your solenoid needs to be grounded, make sure you have a good ground to the solenoid also. If after you did all of this and you still need to jump the sol. It just could be the sol. Quit if it did count the terminals 99% of the time it will be a 4 terminal and if it looks like the older automotive type go to a Napa store as they handle marine stuff and get a new sol. there instead of paying dealer price. If you need anymore help pm me and I will try to help you if all of the above doesn't do the trick. Good luck PAP.

Check your kill switch, My dads sun rotted and looked like it was being pressed but was just attached and the little button was sticking out.

Never mind it will still crank if the kill switch is bad.

Edited by Chas0218

i want thank you all who helped with post about my starter problem it was a bad connection on the starter and the neutral safety switch all works now. thanks again for the help

This site is awsome, when someone is in a pinch we all pull together and try our best to help out where we can. I'm glad to hear that problem is solved. Also good job on your end!! Now get fishing!!! LOL