cow bells

Ok, so I guess I reveal my ignorance by the questions I ask,,,,,,,absolute newby here. I have bought some lake troll cowbells for use un lakers on lake Erie, and kings on lake Ontario, and don't really know how to run them.I have walleye trolling experience, riggers, and dipseys- both braid, and wire. any advice is appreciated, drop lengths, speeds, leaders, etc. Thanks Lane

Run them at 1.0 - 1.8mph at the ball with a peanut rig or a spin n glow.  Drop the downrigger ball to the bottom and troll them within 5' of the bottom.  Lakers can not resist them, kings not so much.   

thanks for the help guys, so, how far back off the ball should I run these things, and should I run my bait right up close to the cow bells, or make up a leader and trail them a bit? will they run behind a dipsey? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Can anyone post a picture of what cowbells are? I thought what I have, which we call Horizontal or Vertical Attractors are what you all refer to as Cowbells? They are these Leaf looking flashers that you just hang on your downrigger ball for the Horizontal version, and the Verticals you attach to the end of your cable and hang the ball off the bottom of it.

They are for Lakers as well, but I guess im curious how you could run these off your lines, seems like they would be a ton of drag.

Here is the basic setup and a pic of Spin-N-Glows which can be used in  place of the peanuts as well

post-145411-0-11961800-1432150500_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-41521900-1432150515_thumb.jpg

I have also done very well running a white and glow and green and blue salmon fly 20"-30" behind the cowbells as well.  Had just as much action as with a peanut or spin and glow, actually, and just as simple to rig.  Plus, salmon guys will already have some of them in the boat, so if a guy runs out of normal laker candy, they will have a go to lure. :yes:  :yes:

OK they are the same things I thought they were, we just don't run them off the lines here, at least no one I know does. We hang them off the balls and troll the lure a few feet behind them on a stacking chamberlain release so that the lure doesn't get tangled in them. The verticals go on the downrigger cable and the ball attaches to the bottom.

thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...