FIngers Crossed...

Last year was may 1. Latest ever. I dont have anything to do with it. They have informed municipalitys down river that first week in may is the time. 42% coverage as of yesterday. It is not 20%. Its more like 4%. So many square miles. Dont quote me on %, I did the math years ago.

For the first time this year you can see miles of open water in front of the cattaragus creek on Erie. From ice fishing erie this winter my opinion is that the ice pack was not nearly as thick this year and there was alot less shove ice. Last year there was shoves that went miles with ice jammed up twenty feet high in areas. Rain and high winds will put a hurting on it this week.

The rule is removal by April first unless there is more than 250 square miles of ice cover. They will continue to monitor it daily via satellite and fly overs and once down to 250 square miles will start removal. Last year they started April 28th. It's very possible they start earlier this year still. All depends on the next two weeks of weather. The rain and warm weather forecasted will certainly help.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If you watch the animation, there is a RAPID degradation of cover and thickness between now and the 13th (kinda fun to watch).  It also notes that the mean thickness of the remaining ice is down to 7.2cm (2.83 inches) at that point in time.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/anim.php?lake=e&param=icethk&type=f

The problem is, the ice in the Eastern Basin by Buffalo is typically the thickest.  I'm optimistic like you but realistically, i'd bet that it is closer to the 24th that the Boom starts to come out.  I'd love it to be much sooner.

What we have to keep in mind, when it comes to the boom. Its not a matter of pushing a button and its out. They started taking it out last year and ran into problems that took a couple of extra days to work out. Crews have to be scheduled to do the work. They cant do that until its ready. Its easier to take out later, then to rush it. I fish the bar every year. Boom out april 1, best fishing. Its gonna be another year of hard work filling boxes. Imho.

What we have to keep in mind, when it comes to the boom. Its not a matter of pushing a button and its out. They started taking it out last year and ran into problems that took a couple of extra days to work out. Crews have to be scheduled to do the work. They cant do that until its ready. Its easier to take out later, then to rush it. I fish the bar every year. Boom out april 1, best fishing. Its gonna be another year of hard work filling boxes. Imho.

can someone explain what the boom is?

Another side effect of the ice boom, once its released and the ice flows come through, there is a significant debris field that also comes with it.  I put the boat in the slip last year a few days after the last ice came through, came down the next day and there was a telephone pole sized log floating next to it in the slip.  Had to dodge a floating picnic table heading out to the bar.  There's a lot of standing seagulls on the water this time of year.