Sampson state park

Ed I think the parks (Sampson and Seneca lake at least) haven't historically started charging until some time in May near Memorial Day but given the condition of the roads in those parks and the docks at Sampson they may have to re-evaluate that process but on the other hand the distribution of funds received by the state seldom follows logical distribution :lol: . I noticed the other day that they were repairing some of the docks in the marina at Seneca.

The fishing has been permitted in both parks until some time in April when the boats start mooring there and I've been told by a number of the workers in those parks over the years that the NO Fishing signs are intended to help the moored boat owners keep their privacy and security rather than being aimed at the prop/line issue.

That,s when. Lodi charges also , thewere putting tickets if you showed up before they were there , new park guy last two year and that is not done any more. I just buy the season ticket done deal.

Yes last couple years I've been getting the Empire Pass so I don't have to worry about having the money with me etc. I think I pretty much get my money's worth considering all the launches I go to etc. :)

Johny..., i'm confused. Where have you read/researched that perch have the highest spawn success rate??  Per NYS biologist, They have ABSOLUTELY no idea about the perch population or anything concerning perch on seneca lake. We have specifically asked. They can tell us about some slimy lake trout but nothing on perch. 

FYI to you guys over 62. You can get a "NY Golden Age Park permit"(free) or a Empire State pass($$) good at any NY state park/launch to get in free & launch your boat. Its good Mon. - Fri. Contact; Tom Rowland, 585-682-4888, park manager at Oak Orchard Marine park. or Roland Beck, 585-493-3600, park manager at Conesus Boat Launch. I have one I use at Oak orchard, Canadagaiua(sp), The Catt. on Erie & now at the Buffalo Small boat harbor now that the state took it over.

I think John was referring to "in general" because in the absence of major egg predation factors perch and bluegills and sunfish do have high rates of successful reproduction because they lay a lot of eggs but they have to because many other things eat them (alewives, other fish like the sunfish etc.). The thing I was getting at earlier was that since the influx of the Zebras and perhaps the Quaggas (deeper water) the bottom is literally covered with them probably interfering with reproduction and the alewives when in shallow devour they eggs in the reduced number places the perch spawn

Edited by Sk8man

Lot D-7 , Sunsetonseneca campground.

See ya there Ed !! Bottom loop next to creek... Im out of Lodi this year for derby.. Looking forward to fishing all week... Looking forward to seeing everyone at Big Fish Friday too...

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Your correct about the zebras and Quaggas cause when I do pull copper I have been as deep as 150' and have actually caught a clump on the hook several times. So it doesn't just affect the panfish either. Some of the Lakers I have caught and kept for a meal have had there stomachs loaded with them. The weed lines have gotten deeper and thinner as well. The coon tail is disappearing ever so slowly and that is a necessity for perch cause the grass crabs feed off that. So basically the ecosystem of the lake is changing and all fish have to adapt, some will do better than others.

Yes exactly Les. In college (fisheries) we learned that perch hatch rate is so great because of the sac the eggs are protected in that causes higher success rate. The sac floats around the water getting plenty of oxygen and protecting the eggs from predation. It also helps in fertilization of the eggs. Much more eggs get fertilized being in the sac versus being dispersed on the bottom like bass or salmonids.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

See ya there Ed !! Bottom loop next to creek... Im out of Lodi this year for derby.. Looking forward to fishing all week... Looking forward to seeing everyone at Big Fish Friday too...

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sounds good Mike , I,ll be there all week , you know where mine is. Let me know your camp # lots of sites along the creek.

Well I see the old mentality stands strong for a few.. go get them we will never run out they are plentifull....hell we used to think that about the smelt to as we could fill a limit with out boots or lantern..  just wait for 7 o clock put your net in the water and fill it and go home ...how many 55 gallon drums were filled ..ya go get them we will never run out .... I wish I knew how many times I said that smelting.. now I wish I could find a bucket load .... like getting stone cats and leaving the egg side of the rock up ..... just my thoughts not worth a penny to most on hear ... always good till its gone then we complain about the good ole days ......a good year fishing to all ,keep your hooks shark and your coolers only as full as need be .... :coffee:  :headbang:

FYI to you guys over 62. You can get a "NY Golden Age Park permit"(free) or a Empire State pass($$) good at any NY state park/launch to get in free & launch your boat. Its good Mon. - Fri. Contact; Tom Rowland, 585-682-4888, park manager at Oak Orchard Marine park. or Roland Beck, 585-493-3600, park manager at Conesus Boat Launch. I have one I use at Oak orchard, Canadagaiua(sp), The Catt. on Erie & now at the Buffalo Small boat harbor now that the state took it over.

i could get that pass but i haven't. I don't mind paying for things i actually use like quality boat launches. I just wish i could get a pass on paying for welfare,food stamps,heap,head start,abortion,transgender rights,gun control,wic,earned income credit,etc,etc,etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Old man, I agree with you but I get P. O. ed when We have to pay to use Our natural lakes & water ways. & then come October they close the launches down & block/lock them up so we can't use them even if the weather is nice & the lakes aren't froze up. Around the Buffalo area come October all launches are locked up. We have some great weather in Oct. & Nov. I feel they belong to us & we should be able to use them when ever. jmo.