Constantia Walleye Hatchery

Prof T

Just got back from a Sunday drive.  Oneida Lake is still 80% covered w/ ice with very little breakup along the North Shore.  Visited the hatchery and they have NOT yet set nets for walleye.  All of the troughs are empty, although the creek next door is stacked with fish ready to spawn. Seeing that alone was worth the drive. Wish I knew where those big breeders spent the summer!

Boats are ready to go and I was told they are going to try to get started Tuesday, but a shift in the wind and ice breakup will raise hell with the process.  If you're in the neighborhood over the next couple weeks, it's a good show. Big difference from the salmon process in that fish are stripped and returned to the lake, relatively unharmed. They also bring in some notable "other" species for display that end up in the nets.

I also photographed a chart they had on the wall and it is attached here as a photo.  That's a lot of walleyes stocked from this one hatchery, and lots of lakes benefit besides just Oneida.  I'm from Rome and I know Lake Delta is a big beneficiary, as well as many others.

post-156305-0-45595100-1428873167_thumb.jpg