Lake Erie Ice Coverage

Yesterdays 80* plus temps and that crazy heavy rain/wind storm that blew through in the afternoon had to have done damage to what was left on Sundays image. 

post-139479-0-21107100-1429023488_thumb.jpg

If you're fishing the Niagara Bar in a few weeks don;t forget about the Spring LOC, 1 K A Day, and Salmon Slam.

Edited by Yankee Troller

Hope you are correct Rick.  NEED to get that boom pulled and let the ice get out of the Erie system so it can WARM.  There is water as warm as 54 degrees in the western basin that isn't flowing east until we can flush the ice out into Lady O.  GLFCS data is on a WEIRD time schedule right now and the forecasting isn't nearly as promising as it was only a day or two ago.

I agree Storm Warning II last when they pulled it on April 29 it totally messed up everything for the whole week of the WHI and LOC.

Actually when the boom was pulled had little if anything to do with the early spring fishing last year. Believe it or not!

They were catching numbers of kings off rochester in mid April last year. It had NOTHING to do with the ice boom and everything to do with how the lake cooled down in the fall. Rochester was the last place on the lake to cool down so that held the most kings in the spring.

This year is DIFFERENT from last year. Again, believe it or not! If you do a little research you too can find out what was the last region of the lake to cool off last fall. That is the region that will hold the most salmon once the lake temp hits 42 degrees and they become active.

That is all the info I'm sharing. 😄. It's tourney time boys! I'm just sick of hearing all the gloom and doom ice boom talk.

SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Except for me:  My slip is in the lower Niagara, and they don't put the docks in until the boom is pulled.  Trailering it is not an option either, so Boom is definitely a four letter word for me.

Actually when the boom was pulled had little if anything to do with the early spring fishing last year. Believe it or not!

They were catching numbers of kings off rochester in mid April last year. It had NOTHING to do with the ice boom and everything to do with how the lake cooled down in the fall. Rochester was the last place on the lake to cool down so that held the most kings in the spring.

This year is DIFFERENT from last year. Again, believe it or not! If you do a little research you too can find out what was the last region of the lake to cool off last fall. That is the region that will hold the most salmon once the lake temp hits 42 degrees and they become active.

That is all the info I'm sharing. . It's tourney time boys! I'm just sick of hearing all the gloom and doom ice boom talk.

SHUT UP AND FISH!!!

That's true about Rochester, and I believe your thinking about the water temp is correct, but having that ice water from the river screwed up the fishing in Niagara County, as it didn't let the lake warm up in front of the river until after the that week which is when I started catching kings with any kind of consistency.

So while I agree that just because the boom is in doesn't mean there isn't fish to catch it does make things different that what we are normally used to(if you can say Lake O has a norm)

The ice water is going to be coming out of the Niagara whether they pull the boom or not. That's my point. Erie is full of ice and ice water. All that water is going out the Niagara. The boom doesn't stop it. Removal of the boom, while it might get rid of SOME of the ice in Erie, will NOT warm the 33 degree water between Erie and Buffalo at all.

It is what it is and there is nothing any of us can do about it!

There's plenty of fish to be caught in the ice water so, like I said, SHUT UP AND FISH! 😄

Looking at the Ice Boom Camera.... There's a chunk of ice the size of a football field behind the boom, and that's it.  The rest is all open water.  The ice pack has all but melted in the rest of the lake, with just a little bit of slush pushed west into the open water.  If they don't start pulling the boom in the next day or two (wind/waves permitting) then the NYPA is just trolling us.

http://www.iceboom.nypa.gov/

EDIT - The boom removal starts this morning at 11:00 am - Great news.

Edited by tlox

Drove along Erie on the way to Ohio and was very surprised how much ice was still in the lake, and not just at the eastern edge.