Flare boat

lily

I took possession of a 1980 Flare center console last fall. Boat is 21 foot long and has the same lines as a mako 21 footer from the same years. Wondering if anybody knows much about these boats. Fished 2 times out of it in October on lake ontario after rebuilding the 140 hp johnson outboard. Both days were ruff as he'll and the boat handled the heavy water quite well. Kid of a wet ride but that is expected. Just wondering if anybody knows much about them. Not much on the internet about the boat.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My first boat was a 1980's 17' Flare CC with a 1988 Johnson 88 SPL on the back.  Fished that boat hard on Ontario, Oneida and Cayuga.  Like you said, handled big water surprisingly well.  Like any boat, beware of transom rot and soft floors.  The only gripes I had about mine were how far back the console sat, didn't leave much room to fight fish between the leaning post and transom (being a 17' boat didn't help that either), and a general lack of storage. 

History wise, I believe that Flare boats were built in Lake Wales, FL until the mid-late 80's before being bought out by another boat builder, and absorbed. 

Same experience as you very tight in the back. But removing the pair well helped me with room. Thanks for your reply

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think this is what they called a splash boat. Someone wanted to get into the boat business and took a 21 Mako as the mold. Was done many times by small boat companies in the 1960's - 1980's. They would build some boats and had a short existence.