First real boat

Hey Guys,

I'm new here and new to the area (Rochester) but not new to fishing. Used to fish up in canada in small rivers and creeks using a canoe and small rowboat. (muskie stories galore) and in NYC Hudson and East River (no boat).

Anyway, I'm planning on buying a used fishing boat, around 25hp. I was wondering if you guys had any adivce on what I should look out for? Common issues overlooked by newbs? Necessary equipment?

Also wondering if a good car wax would suffice in waxing the boat or do you really need to get an actual boat wax?

Thanks

-Shaun

Poc - Not sure where you intend to fish. In general get something as wide & as deep as you can afford. Look for plenty of room in the stern & wide gunals (sp) if you're going into rigger fishing. Seating that allows you to easily move around. Car wax (pastes) generally work fine if you're going to be trailering it & not leaving it in the water between fishing trips. Necessary boat equipment: Life jackets, anchor, rope, paddle... Fishing equipment: Fish finder.

If your interest is going out on Big-O then I'd suggest looking through the posts & at other guys boats. See the fishing gear they've phto'd. Also find the weather sites & check them religiously if you're ever going to venture out on the Big-O.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Hey Thanks for the reply,

I would be mostly fishing the Genesee River and Conesus. Use the canoe for the creeks. I would like to take this the boat out on Ontario some times, but yea I would have to make sure of the weather. I guess it would be a good idea to invest in a vhf radio?

I found a good deal on a 2003 bass tracker 16 ft super guide with a deep V hull and 25 hp engine. Not the fastest thing out there but should do just fine for me especially for the price. It has all the equipment you mentioned.

I will be trailering the boat and i have some very nice car waxes, so I'm happy i can use that. (I take almost religious care of my truck). Hope theres some good fishing this weekend.

-Shaun

That bass tracker is fine for inland lakes, but I would not suggest you take it on the big O......It's way underpowered with a 25hp. My first new boat was a 16 ft 98 Grumman single console, very similar to the tracker. I ordered it with the 25hp to save $$ and it was a huge mistake! Put a few people & gear in the boat and with a good tail wind you may do 15 mph....long as the people are small.

On Lake O, you need the ability to get in fast in a smaller boat....the waves can build with little notice and you can find yourself in real danger if that happens and you have no power to handle the conditions.....

Anyone who has spent anytime on this lake knows that even though the weather folks are calling for 1-2, you can easily be faced with 3-4 or worse. Happens all the time.