How many of you fish for muskie alone?

I do the majority of my fishing alone. At times, my fiancé will tag along, and she is really the only one that I trust with the net. There are times that handling fish alone is a real challenge. What do others who fish alone do to better their chances at successfully netting that fish?

Jay Davies

I fish 1/2 time alone my hook barbs are pinched down so alot of times I do not have to net

if I am going to take a picture it is done in the water donated 3 phones last year to the lake 1 otisco and two at conesus

I enjoy hooking them does not matter if I land them ( I mainly try for tigers)

I'm fishing for tigers 80% of the time as well. I have Sony action cams I pull still shots from, so I'm not worried about photos.

My main concern is a successful release for both fish and angler.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When i fish alone(95% of the time) i only have one seat in the boat. I keep my baits in plastic boxes in the live well so i'm not tripping over two big lakewood boxes like i used to. I keep my net in one of the empty mounts for the seat pedestals. The less stuff in the way the less likely you are to get the net hung up or stumble. I pinch my barbs down so unhooking is easy. My go pro is down there with rougarou's phones. Is the action cam easy to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ir I'm alone and land a musky I get it to the boat, net it, loosen the drag then hold the net against body/armpit and go in for the hooks with long nose pliers. You may get a hand behind the gill plate w/fish in the water to hold it still. ,Forget the photo and keep the experience a secret!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One way to deal with the net is to twine it in your boat cleat I have the saltys so use those to hold the net old man I did some investigating and found the soney's to be half the the price 95% in picture quality

better sound and they have to degrees in recording to reduce fish eye better recording in low light and they have the anti-shake

The action cam is easy. I can usually get it turned on while I'm fighting a fish. You control it from an app on your smart phone versus it coming with its own remote. I usually just turn it on manually. I like the picture better than the gopro.

Jay Davies

I have the large beckman pen. When the fish is close I guide the fish in then hang the net over a rod holder, while I unhook the fish in the water. Same procedure as with two people, except I do the netting myself.

Have never hooked into a big one while fishing solo though.

It can be tough to do with a nine foot rod and a four foot net handle. I like to practice by netting the small ones you would otherwise let shake off or grab behind the head. Thanks for the camera info.

On another note, I cannot wait to be back at it in a boat. I can only sharpen so many hooks and order so many baits to keep me occupied.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

if i sharpen my hooks one more time i'll have to replace them.

• 1 month later...