pro/am "Open" tourny

Ive been in the pro/am tourny for three years in a row now.open division....Came in 5th place the first year,withe the biggest fish in that division.

It was very exciting,having fun,one youth on board,my son.At the weigh in I realize there are actual charter boats that enter that division.

Shouldnt there be a size limit on those boats,just like there is a size limit for the pro part of it?..I mean,how can a 17ft boat compete with a 26 ft boat.   Wind direction determins how far out I can go.  And please...have curtasy when flying by...I know we are in a money tourny,and you pros have more at stake.....that doesnt justify you putting a 6 ft wake towards the smaller boats....I will not mention the WELL known chater that has done this.....This year we will be vidio tapeing....Out in 400 ft water,I concider that endagerment,and just un sportsman like conduct....

I asked the same question two years ago.  It says Open Division is for the weekend recreational angler.  Yet there have been charter captains entered in it with charter boats.  No one from the ProAm committee would answer my question. 

Not defending it at all but the rules were set up to allow ANYONE to fish- including captains, that may only have one day to fish. Just because someone holds a captains license doesn't mean he is any better on that day than anyone else. I believe you can only weigh 3 fish (or 5?) regardless of the number of persons on board. Boat size is irrelevant too--if it's too rough for your boat don't enter that day.

If you don't like it don't fish it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Then they shouldn't say open division is for the weekend angler if some charter captain and crew with years of experience is going to enter the same division.  You're going to match up two guys in a 17 foot boat against a charter captain and a crew of say four guys with a big boat against each other.  Let's see the back of the charter boat looks like a dance floor and they have plenty of room to move rods around and out of the way when they have hook ups not mentioning how well the big boat handles the waves.  Two guys using six rods or five guys using twelve to fifteen rods. But that's fair, right?  I know what you're going to say.  Don't enter it.  All I'm saying is keep it even.  Have a different division for bigger boats.  You wonder why a lot of guys don't enter the open division????????

Then they shouldn't say open division is for the weekend angler if some charter captain and crew with years of experience is going to enter the same division. You're going to match up two guys in a 17 foot boat against a charter captain and a crew of say four guys with a big boat against each other. Let's see the back of the charter boat looks like a dance floor and they have plenty of room to move rods around and out of the way when they have hook ups not mentioning how well the big boat handles the waves. Two guys using six rods or five guys using twelve to fifteen rods. But that's fair, right? I know what you're going to say. Don't enter it. All I'm saying is keep it even. Have a different division for bigger boats. You wonder why a lot of guys don't enter the open division????????

I agree with what you're saying. When that division was created several of us were against it and said it wouldn't work. It hasn't. I was just trying to explain how everything came about and the "reasoning" behind it.

If some "captains" acted as such and entered the division intended for them this issue would never have occurred. Unfortunately for some it's all about "the win". ðŸ˜

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Your fighting a losing battle...........this have been sent/shared for years (at least the last 7 that I'm aware of).  In the past it was who should and shouldn't be in the amateur division, to many complaints now thats gone. 

Don't get me wrong the tournaments are fun because its mostly a bunch of friends getting together for a weekend (at least for me), BUT as you can see it bring alot of tension and friendships have been wrecked.

Some may take Pauls quote as a joke "If you don't like it don't fish it".

But to me and many people I've talked to, it just shows the level of respect some concern's have.

I hope to possibly get in one of those sometime soon, and I see both sides, but as an amateur, ( I don't fish for income) tournaments should be geared towards the participant's and the level they can compete in.  If that means its an open division, that means its open to anyone, If tournaments want to have an amateur division, they should have criteria in it that states your just that and no more.  Yea I know, if you dont like it don't fish it and that little boats can win big agains big boats,  In reality though, the participants and the income of such tournaments is what drives these to be successful.  How many amateurs are you losing of not entering vs charter captains ( professionals) of not getting in because they worry about being shamed if they enter the amature division.   Probably not too many but that's  just a guess.  I have yet to get in one and like I said hope to soon, I really am not out to try and show someone up that makes a living doing it nor am I saying I could, I just want to be able to go out have fun, be part of the crowd, interact, and say hey, damn that was cool, Id do that again. 

Boat size will only limit you if you let it. Only fish the conditions you are comfortable with. As far as Charters entering the open divison, if that what makes them feel better so be it. There will always be these kind of people in life and unfortunately there nothing we can do about them. I would take pride in fishing with your son and doing the best you can and not letting one or two bad apples ruin your experience. For me the tournaments whether it be Pro, AM or Open is about the experience. Years ago the first ever tourney i enetered was the Open Division out of Sodus. At the weigh in I met alot of good guys and Charter captains that were willing to talk to me and share their success and non-sucessful programs. Point is for every negative (bad) person out there you will find 2 to 3 positives. Guys like Rich (Yankee Troller) and Bill Ruth (Billy V) among others have always been a class act towards everyone. Associate yourself with the positive guys and forget the negative. When you fish the Open and place ahead of that "person" whom you think should not be there pat yourself on your back for a job well done.

Edited by bout time

Very well said Bout time!!! The best part is just fishing and enjoying your time with your son. Enjoy the competition, companionship, excitement of the tournement. Im really not sure why Charter boats would feel any kind of satisfaction competing and winning in an amerature division, but don't let it bother you,

In my years of fishing Lake Ontario I have owned a variety of "larger" boats, a few Penn Yans my favorite a 262 Competitor, and I do agree in the nasty weather they do a lot better with speed control, drift, and just the stability.....but in fair to good weather a small boat can do just as well as a big boat. Even when I had my big boat I would rarly run more than three riggers, usually I would run two riggers either stacked or cheaters if using spoons and focus on wire dipsys and maybe a few board rods per side with copper or leadcore, I totally believe the stealthy approach, "less lines running through the water" and more focus on targeting the depths you are marking the fish.

I now have a Starcraft 196 Fishmaster and run two mag10s, two wire dipsy rods, and usually that's it, and I'm very successful. I think it would be great if a lot of small boats would enter, work together and beat the Charter boats entering the amerature division, if that happens charter boats will be less likely to enter do to embarrassment, lol

Come to Sodus and fish the am division. Fish against your fellow ams and no one else.

Not quite. I seem to remember that the Sodus pro-am often has a bit of a problem with 4 and 5 footers

I look at it this way,  fishing tounries with Pros 1)  keeps you on your game, 2) gives you the chance to top some of the best names on the lake.  The Sandy Creek Shootout is a tourney that has Captains and Rec anglers battling it out.  EVERY year, recs out fish some big name captains.  Look at the standings and you will see names like Trout n About, Yankee Troller and Running Rebel.  These guys all have done well at the Pro level and have been beat by rec anglers.  Boat size is only an advantage in very rough weather IMO.  With a solid crew, some knowledge and the right gear, you should be able to compete.  

Edited by GAMBLER

I look at it this way,  fishing tounries with Pros 1)  keeps you on your game, 2) gives you the chance to top some of the best names on the lake.  The Sandy Creek Shootout is a tourney that has Captains and Rec anglers battling it out.  EVERY year, recs out fish some big name captains.  Look at the standings and you will see names like Trout n About, Yankee Troller and Running Rebel.  These guys all have done well at the Pro level and have been beat by rec anglers.  Boat size is only an advantage in very rough weather IMO.  With a solid crew, some knowledge and the right gear, you should be able to compete.  

Brian, the shootout is on my birthday this year.  What a nice present that would be.

Edited by Jimmyi

I love taking part in the east end triple crown and once a year the Oswego pro-am, but at the same time I only love it because of its entertainment value. If the competitive part would take the fun out of it, I won't participate anymore.

I fish the Little Salmon River Challenge, mostly for the fun of fishing with my grandson and Mike and Beth do a great job of making sure the kids enjoy the day! Great people, food and fun, so if you wan't to try a tourney grab your kids and have a lot of fun!

post-144884-0-84786300-1429732729_thumb.jpg