Stripers!

Heading up to the Lake for the Walleye opener in a couple weeks. But the stripers are just starting to turn on down here. Managed a nice 25#ish fish last night chunking bunker and 4 shorts. Will be trying again on Saturday in the DE Bay. 

post-154668-0-05109900-1429196081_thumb.jpg

Heading up to the Lake for the Walleye opener in a couple weeks. But the stripers are just starting to turn on down here. Managed a nice 25#ish fish last night chunking bunker and 4 shorts. Will be trying again on Saturday in the DE Bay. 

Looks like you're fishing out of a Proline. Mine is setup the same way.

Looks like you're fishing out of a Proline. Mine is setup the same way.

Yes sir its my new (to me) boat I got last year. 21' Proline, 1980 hull. I love this thing. Trailering it up to Henderson 1st weekend in May.

Great start.Do you have schools of Bunker around and got your own ?

There are schools of bunker around in the Bay. We saw a ton all over the place yesterday. We do not net our own as getting on top of them with cast nets is almost impossible. A local tackle shop nets them and we buy them fresh out of the net. Fresher the better down here

Nice fish.  I decided just this week to scrap my trip to the Hudson next month.  Those Stripers are awesome.  They should be closed to commercial fisherman or at least restricted to hook and line.

that's the way it is in Mass. ,but the real problem is farther down south around washington where commercial fisheries are destroying the baitfish that stripers need.

Nice fish.  I decided just this week to scrap my trip to the Hudson next month.  Those Stripers are awesome.  They should be closed to commercial fisherman or at least restricted to hook and line.

Yes we are constantly arguing over what to do with stripers down here in the DE/Chesapeake Bay regions and further south. Way to many are taken by commercial netters in my opinion.

There are schools of bunker around in the Bay. We saw a ton all over the place yesterday. We do not net our own as getting on top of them with cast nets is almost impossible. A local tackle shop nets them and we buy them fresh out of the net. Fresher the better down here

I have never tried the cast net either.I use a Michigan cricket and snag them.They don't get much fresher than that, A few years ago I snached a Bunker while I was reeling it in a 25lb Striper inhaled it and the snach hook stuck him right in the jib.One of my most memorable Striper catches.

I quit fishing the chesapeake and delaware last year. got to the point where running down there for 2-2.5 hours to "maybe" catch a fish or two wasnt worth it. that area turned in to a real disappointment. the commercial guys destroyed the fishery down there. lots of problems with poachers too. when they get caught they get a slap and a small fine and go right back the next day. really is a shame. only thing left down at the flats is catties. didn't boat a single large mouth or striper last year. but thats a nice fish you landed

Edited by MooseKnuckle VI