Governor Cuomo

For all of you hunters or any other people who do not like Governor Cuomo, Opt your kids out of State testing. This is one of the first challenges that actually has a lot of steam to make the governor look like a fool. Also the tests do not count for anything. If a student fails it, it does not effect there grades or advancement to the next grade. The tests are all about Obama's Race to the Top money and the private company that makes a fortune creating these tests with our tax money. Math tests are next week.

post-140268-14293060734873_thumb.jpg

All the green makes him look like a fool and he doesn't care. He's nothing but a mayor with no city boundaries. Now he wants to make all of upstate pay for all that republican green. Don't forget he said all NY should boycott travel to Indiana! Lol.What a fool!.. (b"U"ffoon)

I have one question about these tests and it is for employers. If you have to hire a new young employee. Who would you rather hire. A kid who successfully passed these tests or a kid who did not take them?

I would hire the one who did not take them, I would base my opinion on work ethic, willingness to learn and those qualities have nothing to do with this test. The parents are the ones opting the kids out, not the kids. My wife teaches and the parents that are opting their kids out are typically college grads that see the idea of standardizing a test just to try to bring all kids to a certain level is just ludicrous. The teachers are going to suffer because the kids that are opting out are typically the smarter kids, thus the teachers score cards suffer and they potentially can lose their job. Backwards is backwards... the answer is not standardized tests but more attention to individual kids through a better student to teacher ratio.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I would hire the one who did not take them, I would base my opinion on work ethic, willingness to learn and those qualities have nothing to do with this test. The parents are the ones opting the kids out, not the kids. My wife teaches and the parents that are opting their kids out are typically college grads that see the idea of standardizing a test just to try to bring all kids to a certain level is just ludicrous. The teachers are going to suffer because the kids that are opting out are typically the smarter kids, thus the teachers score cards suffer and they potentially can lose their job. Backwards is backwards... the answer is not standardized tests but more attention to individual kids through a better student to teacher ratio.

Some good points there.I guess that when there is a kid who has all these qualities, he or she should not have much of a problem passing these test successfully anyway. You gave all the good reasons to opt out. I don't think that disliking Cuomo is a good reason. I do not like cuomo any more than any other career politician,but my feelings about cuomo will never influence the decisions i make about my children's future

Edited by rolmops

attachicon.gif1429306047242.jpg

All the green makes him look like a fool and he doesn't care. He's nothing but a mayor with no city boundaries. Now he wants to make all of upstate pay for all that republican green. Don't forget he said all NY should boycott travel to Indiana! Lol.What a fool!.. (b"U"ffoon)

acreage does not vote,people do

Rol I think you miss my point, its the kids that aren't taking the test are skewing the overall results and that looks bad for our hardworking teachers. We live in a very poor area and many of the parents could care less if their kid passes or not. The parents that are opting out are inadvertently hurting the teachers efforts. Using our kids as a political leveraging tool is not what we should be doing. Instead we should be supporting our teachers by getting more involved at the local level of your school board meetings and maybe if you have kids open up a better communication channel with their teacher. The teachers love their students and these kids are our future.

If you want my political opinion, hopefully we raise a kid that turns out as a better governor than Cuomo.

Just curious why do you jump on every post that speaks negatively against liberal politics? This is certainly a conservative forum we all love the outdoors, water conservation, and definitely fishing. I am not on liberal based sights trying to get hydro fracking passed. So why would you want be the naysayer??

acreage does not vote,people do

Well that is correct and demographics would always apply to a victory over the acerage of the USA if not for an electoral college in a national election as well. Still a buffoon elected by people stacked on each other on a couple of small islands.

Naysayer? Sorry if I gave that impression. My politics are libertarian and conservationist. Neither liberal nor conservative have a monopoly on loving the world around us and trying to preserve it. 

As for countering every anti liberal attack?  2 things. First,politics do not belong on a family friendly chat room. It is a blood sport of the nasty kind. Second, every rash remark should at least have some rational counter argument. I do not promote liberal politics nor to I support conservative politics of the R. Limbaugh kind.

As for people who have the courage and dedication to be teachers in your area, They deserve a medal, and much better salaries.

Does your wife teach at Van Etten?

Edited by rolmops

I agree, and hopefully my comments weren't taken as a bash in any way because I call em how I see em, but again I'm just one voice on a family friendly forum I enjoy reading. So debate is healthy done in a mature tasteful manner. I just wondered if you realized that my previous comments about being a naysayer is what I have observed over many different posts

PS... my wife thanks you for your kind words about teachers.

No employer is ever going to ask about if a kid took these tests because these tests are only given out in grades 3-8.  They are not Regents Exams and have nothing to do with high school graduation.  What these tests do is take up 6 to 7 days of instructional time to take these tests.  The tests are part of the Common Core, but each state has there own tests.  Its like comparing apples and oranges between the states.

If you want to compare how college bound students are doing between the states, there already is two different tests.  They are the SATs and the ACTs.   

This is one of the first times that Cuomo has had an open revolt where he might actually have to change his policy.  If he does or if he does not, it will be interesting to see how this will all play out.