Hey all I know this is really last minute but I recently moved to Buffalo from Iowa and my fiancée and I are looking to come up to Lake Ontario tomorrow thinking either Olcott or Wilson more as just a chance to get out and check things out. I have been looking at the reports and it seems like pretty much everyone on here is going out in boats. My question is if anyone has any tips for us on where to start out from shore up there and if it will really be worth it or if we should just try to find a place around here on the Niagara River to fish. I really appreciate any ideas or advice as I'm really new to the area. Thanks!

First of all, welcome! Often times the shore fishing reports are under the tributary section. Definately check out your local tackle shop and ask for the latest reports. You will want to pick up blue and silver cleos (ask what other local colors) in two fifth size and some good ball bearing swivels. Google fishing access spots, in particular piers. Both Wilson and Olcott are terrific spots. The Niagara river is outstanding and overwhelming at the same time. Look into Artpark in Lewiston and try for monster carp with corn. P.m. me any time if you head near Rochester, or need advice. Good luck and welcome to the best fishing forum anywhere!

Send me a private message and I will share some secrets with you! Should be ok fishing from the wall at olcott or Wilson. I usually run 30lb power pro on a spinning rod and chuck Cleos in 2/5 or 3/4. Also spinners are great, and you can ofcourse hit a variety of species. I see people shore fishing the lower niagara at Devils hole. I have never done it as the river intimidates the hell out of me. Be careful down there if you go and check to see what time the power authority increases the water flow. Good places near buffalo to try are Scoby hill dam, eighteen mile creek at south creek and lakeshore (dec access) or fish from the rocks at sturgeon point. In and around the small boat harbor and outer harbor are good spots for bass as temps warm up. Break wall at Cattaraugus creek is another good one. Make sure you get your license and have a blast prospecting. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well we went out and fished down below the Burt dam today. We stopped into the slippery sinker and they helped us get some equipment to get started out and gave us some great tips unfortunately we weren't able to catch any but we saw some caught and we definitely learned a lot and I look forward to getting back there! How long does the steelhead spawn usually last?

First of all, welcome! Often times the shore fishing reports are under the tributary section. Definately check out your local tackle shop and ask for the latest reports. You will want to pick up blue and silver cleos (ask what other local colors) in two fifth size and some good ball bearing swivels. Google fishing access spots, in particular piers. Both Wilson and Olcott are terrific spots. The Niagara river is outstanding and overwhelming at the same time. Look into Artpark in Lewiston and try for monster carp with corn. P.m. me any time if you head near Rochester, or need advice. Good luck and welcome to the best fishing forum anywhere!

How about the Rochester piers?? Any luck on them during the evening? I've been out trolling during then with good success but haven't tried from shore yet.

Two books will help you tremendously.

Sander's Fishing Guide and Western New York Fishing Map Guide

Both are around $25.00 and are in Dick's, Gander or Cabelas.  Worth the money.  Maps, access points and what is biting during the season.  That and go back and read the old posts.  Good luck and welcome to Western New York.  The people here are welcoming and of good nature. The fishing is world class for steel head in the streams and lakes and the duck hunting can be great as well.