2 stroke oil synthetic vs. regular

Joe W

Recently i purchased a  1993 mercury 2 stroke oil injected motor. Looks like previous owner may have used qiucksilver premium plus 2 stroke oil. When i purchased a new gallon i noticed it was qiucksilver premium plus synthetic blend. does this make a difference or are they compatible to be mixed in the same tank resevoir.

I'm not sure about outboards,I never have used synthetic,to expensive,but I know with snowmobiles,they don't recommend mixing synthetic with non synthetic.i would recommend calling a Mercury dealer if nobody chimes in.

Joe W, Been using synthetic oil in everything I own for about 12 years now. It will not hurt an engine to mix synthetic with conventional oil but naturally you wont get the full effect of synthetic until your running all synthetic. Better fuel mileage, better idling and you will find if you run injector system you won't use as much oil. Also use it in lower unit. Hope this helps

just stopped at walmart today and picked up a case of super-tech oil.12 bucks a gallon!!!!im so glad i read a post on here a few years ago about the super-tech oil.i had been buying yamaha oil at a local dealer and paying almost 50 bucks a gallon.saves me a couple hundred bucks a summer.

Your cylinders get used to what ever oil you are running in them it is not the best thing to switch from synthetic to non synthetic or vise versa. Certain additives in the different oils do not mix well. Best to find out exactly what previous owner was running.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Synthetic oil became mandatory when automotive engine operating temperatures went from 180 to 210 degrees F. for fuel economy. Aviation engines which are mainly air cooled always used synthetic oils since high engine oil temperature caused oxidation of natural petroleum oil when the temperatures reached over 180 degrees F. You can not go wrong with synthetic oils unless your engine manufacturer wanted regular oil for break in purposes for the first ten thousand miles. The rings need to set in the cylinders properly before synthetic oil is added. Nascar cars use a 0W50 synthetic oil for their higher RPM engines that quickly lubricates the engine on starting and has the best lubrication possible. Ford had a 5W20 oil a few years ago for quicker lubrication and less friction for higher mileage and it worked fine.

Being fairly new to the boating worid, i would just like to compliment on the very educational comments i have been receiving through the lake ontario forum. it has been very helpful every time i had a question. Thanks to all u guys. the great information is always appreciated.

Depending on the motor year would dictate what I use.  My motor is a 1988 150 I use synthetic blend. They never had synthetics back then so I did not want to chance going straight synthetic and something breaking.  If I had a motor late 90s or newer I would not be afraid to use synthetic.

I/O is a completely different story.

This guy that used to go to Canada with us had old merc. 10 horse and a 8 horse motors they were from the 50's. He has a auto repair shop and a salvage yard for as long as I can remember and he also was the first guy in the area to sell Amsoil, and they were 40:1 mix, he mixed the Amsoil 100:1 in those old motors and they ran flawless, I would have never believed that if I didn't see for myself. Before he switched over from the conventional oil to this synthetic he said he used to bring a box of plugs, now he brings just a few for spares just in case one goes bad. I also used the Amsoil in a 1988 Evinrude 88SPL I had on a 18fter. I was Leary of the 100:1 mix so I ran the boat hard for a short time and shut it off, pulled the plugs and to my surprise the plugs were light color brown perfect!!! After I switched to the synthetic oil I went the whole season on a set of plugs and I also use it in my kicker which also used to foul a plug every now and then, now I go a whole season on a set of plugs. Now I don't use my motors as much as the guys that are lucky enough to live by LakeO so that could be a factor as to why I go from season to season. The synthetic oil smokes less and you use less so that off sets the higher cost, I figured it out to be almost the same figuring in the cost of plugs.

Edited by pap