Salmon . Walleye. And Trout. ( S.W.A.T.)

I had a fun solo trip out in breezy, windy conditions on Lake O mid-day yesterday, north of the salmon river.. I went 7 for 7, some off the boards and a few out a little deeper off the rigger.

5 browns with the largest being  a 26 1/2" female that never dropped her eggs,

29 inch  Atlantic that put my trout tackle to the test ,and jumped/ cart-wheeled 5 times,

and  also a 31 " hog walleye (released of course) that is the longest I have ever caught in N.Y. State waters. I'm guessing she was between 11 and 13 lbs .

I took a couple of  brown trout /Atlantic salmon comparison pics

vP1010221.jpg

vP1010215.jpg

P1010210.jpg

P1010216.jpgP1010220.jpg

Edited by choo-choo
  • Like 2

I second Chris' comment it is a good reference for folks to looks at to distinguish between them :yes:  and nice going on the fishing

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks guy's...it was a fun time out there despite the breeze. ( I just added another comparison picture,showing the inside of the mouth of each fish)

Pete, they are beautiful... also strong.... fast....acrobatic...and delicious ! Can't ask for much more than that !

momay/sk8man, thanks.  A lot of undersize atlantics do get kept by some fisherman that mistake them for silvery,lightly spotted brown trout. I hope the pics can help to see some basic differences between the two fish.

no fish fingers for me Glen.

Made it out of stony creek just north of you on Sunday as well, and caught 5 species. Was a fun day on the water.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1429713014.453854.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1429713029.288114.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1429713041.672470.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1429713054.220501.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1429713063.454344.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United[/quote

Awsome catch, love that eye!!! Congrats on your day!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have not fished big O In years. thinking of going this week, maybe Wednesday...

any tips on where, depth of water, lures, length behind riggers, troll speed, would be appreciated

I have a 17' deep vee with rigger and planer mast

sorry I know this is a lot to ask...

We just got back from point breeze.
Fished 9 to 18 FOW. At 1.7 to 2.2 mph gps speed. We were pulling spoons and sticks 40 to 75 back on planers and riggers were 60 to 100 back and down 5’.
Sticks caught all the fish. Best color was orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My speed I was talking about was with a fish hawk only I don’t know about the other brands other than sub trol my buddy has 1.75to 2.0 is good speed for sub trol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

• 3 years later...