Small, but not a baby--it's an adult Coho. Something is going on this year, there's LOTS of Coho but they are very small--for now. Either the tough winter stunted their growth or there was a large wild hatch somewhere and they are a bit behind. I've seen this before and they will pack on the weight in a hurry, should be caught up by June. Regarded by many as the top table fare in the Great Lakes.

Bruce, because that is an adult coho. Remember that Coho have a different life cycle than our kings do. They don't smolt out until 1 1/2 years old.

That fish is currently 2 1/2 years old and will mature and run its river to spawn this fall.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Tim Bromund

Small, but not a baby--it's an adult Coho. Something is going on this year, there's LOTS of Coho but they are very small--for now. Either the tough winter stunted their growth or there was a large wild hatch somewhere and they are a bit behind. I've seen this before and they will pack on the weight in a hurry, should be caught up by June. Regarded by many as the top table fare in the Great Lakes.

I talked with a MI guy in the Southern part and they aren't seeing smaller than usual Coho. They do Spring stockings from what I could gather from him. Maybe these are the Fall stockings that didn't fair well?

100 percent an adult-in "coho years."  Once they are big enough to eat adult alewife(first year in open lake) thats it, they're off and running and their growth is explosive. Now, they can experience "delayed maturity" just as Kings can. Some of these that are very small may hold over another year and be those rare 10 lb Spring Coho next year, but the majority of these will still hit 8lbs + by Sept. Be prepared, small or not they have an agenda and tackle wrecking is part of it. These super agile crazed feeding machines are going to "blow up" many a pretty set come June.